Hello

ksdanahy
Full Access
ksdanahy
Full Access
10/30/2018 8:32 pm

I’m Kevin. I’m in my early 50s and just getting back into guitar. I had some lessons when I was a teenager but never got past being a strummer. I recently fell into some difficult times with a very rare heart disease. I had to go on disability and I have time on my hands. Guitar Tricks seems like the perfect way to get back into something I always loved and wanted to get better at. I’m starting at the very beginning to break bad habits and learn the right way. The fundamental lessons have been terrific. They’ve given me a new sense of accomplishment. I’m looking forward to growing as a player with the program.

Best,

Kevin

# 1
johnb47
johnb47
10/31/2018 4:08 pm

Hi Kevin, I'm John. You sound much like me. I have plenty of time now that I'm retired. In 1997, I picked up my guitar after twenty years. determined to do just as you say. Between then and December 2001, I took my old Mel Bay books and started refreshing myself on reading music again. I played first chair, alto sax in junior and senior high bands and was awarded a Master Musician award in statewide contests. The "tablature" approach is a little confusing to me.

I finally got to where I could play a fair repertoire of chorded melodies. I enjoy easy going stuff. Then in December 2001, I had to have a stent put in my right coronary artery. I really have no idea why, but I just didn't pick up the guitar again until a few months ago and found this place online. I think this is a great idea. It's really helped get me back to where I left off.

Anyway, good luck on your quest as well!

Old Mariner

# 2
ksdanahy
Full Access
ksdanahy
Full Access
10/31/2018 7:37 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out. Very similar story! Not sure but I don’t remember being taught tabs way back when. I was always terrible at reading music and did much more by ear. I feel like this will really help me to be a better, more rounded player. Nice to know there is another guy like me digging back into guitar!

# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/01/2018 2:57 pm

Hey guys,

so good to hear from all of you, and to know your're out there learning and having fun!!!!!

All the best - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.