View post (Don't know wht you got - solo)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
10/25/2018 8:41 pm
Originally Posted by: gilouch0

I have just realised that each chapter of song lesson has its own difficulty rank.

So there is a global difficulty given to the song, although some parts like in this song might be more difficult than others....

[p]Premise?

If you could excuse me for querying your statement, but it appears you're contradicting yourself here? Either a song has a general or "global" difficulty rating also consistent throughout every segment/part/"chapter" (which I do observe over multiple samples offered below), or each numerically annotated sequential "chapter" of a lesson has an assigned individual rating (which I don't observe).

Unless what you're suggesting is that the general aka global difficulty rating is subsequently meaned to an average rating derived from different individual chapter ratings. Again, I don't observe [u]any[/u] evidence of that.

OTOH what I do see is evidence to the contrary. e.g.

1. "She Loves You" (as taught by Dave Celentano). Difficulty rated 3 guitars - global and every lesson segment. This specifically despite Dave saying within that segment i.e. 7. Song Outro at 5m27s, that paraphrased, "this is probably one of the more challenging sections of the song".

An aside. IME I don't think the Coda is actually the hardest part of learning "She Loves You", although for me there is one undeniably challenging stretch fingering fill suited to Dave's long and slender fingers in that single guitar adaptation exacerbated by it also necessitating a super quick awkward positioning change off the immediately preceding fill. The hardest or challenging aspect of learning that song where one is playing both the lead riff and fills in conjunction with the rhythm is the speed of the changes in some parts as required by the 150BPM tempo.

2. "Revolution" (as taught by Henrik Linde). Difficulty rated 4 guitars - global,and again every lesson segment.

3. Similarly his "Back in the U.S.S.R." Difficulty rated 3 guitars - global and every lesson segment.

4. "I Saw Her Standing There" as taught by Mike Olekshy. Difficulty rated 3 guiitars - again, global and every segment/chapter of the lesson.

Four song examples selected at random by three different instructors varying with multiple guitar parts and/or adaptation to single guitar.

The [u]consistent[/u] logical pattern evidencing itself here that I observe is the application of a single (n) guitars general or mean difficulty rating assigned to a song lesson which is concidentially echoed throughout each of its individual chapters/numerical lesson segments.

But hey, the seemingly erratic or inconsistent assignment of GT's general lesson difficulty rating per individual song is a mystery to me too, hence my earlier question to Mike in the thread.