View post (Skip the Beginner Electric Guitar)

View thread

northernmoore
northernmoore
08/18/2018 5:44 pm

I picked up my first guitar 12 months ago. Like you I started on an acoustic guirtar and I actuallypurchased an electric guitar only yesterday. I really took my time which is unlike me and actually listened to a lot of peoples advice.

Personally, I found that their was significant differences between the makers, some were harder to play than others. I eventally purchased a Fender Telecaster, the reason being was the neck profile and the sound. I went for a v shape neck which is really chunky but works for me better than all the other types I tried. As Christopher said you really need to try as many as you can until you find the one that is comfortable for you. With regard to price I went for a custom shop tele as I found that the sound/tone of the custom shop guitars through the amps below made me actually enjoy playing the guitar even more - which for me is what it is all about - enjoying it.

There was one caviat... when I purchased my guitar - 'My wife' she said that "this one has to be it for a while" so I purchased with future proofing in mind, with one eye on not having to spend all over again in a years time and wishing I bought the right one in the first place.

Because of the neck profile I was rather limited, but tried these two;[br]Fender Tele Baja - Mexican made [br]Brad Paisley road worn tele US made both have V Shaped necks

I then tried custom shop guitars and the difference for me was signifcant enough to spend the extra money.

I play in my office at home so buying an expensive tube amp really didnt make sense to me as I can't really turn it up to get the benefit, so I looked at the Bedroom Amps - A good source of information is the Andertons Guitsr website. You will find lots of videos road-testing the likes of the Yamaha THR10C/X - Vox Adio GT - Boss Katana 50 and Fender Mustang GT amps ranging from £200 - £300's. I have gone for the Boss Katana-50 which takes pedals so again future proof.

I bought new because I dont really like buying second hand. However, looking on sites like Reverb you can get some fantastic guitars at very reasonable prices.

Hope this helps...