View post (Skip the Beginner Electric Guitar)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/15/2018 6:36 pm

Hey & welcome to GT! Thanks for the background info. That helps.

Originally Posted by: valueseeker

I've been learning on an acoustic but would like to purchase an electric. Doing some quick research online, many sites recommend either a Squier Strat or Epiphone Les Paul Studio. Both are considered decent beginner guitars. With most things I buy, I always prefer spending more up front and getting good quality than buying cheap first and then having to upgrade later and end up spending more overall. With that, what are your thoughts on spending more up front and buying say a Fender Strat or the higher end Epiphone Les Paul vs the beginner guitars mentioned and upgrading later?

The American or Mexican Strats typically have better materials & finish work than their cheaper Squier counterparts. So if you can afford it, then it's a great idea to buy the better instrument. Not only for the playing & sound quality, but also for resale value. Same for Epi & Gibson.

However, the amp you use is just as big, if not more, of a factor when you are playing electric guitar. So, consider getting a decent small amp or you won't get the benefit of a nicer guitar.

Fender makes great small amps, as does Line6 & Boss. Remember to shop with your musical goals in mind. What style of music will you be playing? Do you need an amp with a lot of bells & whistles? How many different timbres or effects will you need? How many channels? The ability to change channels? Overall volume?

And, as always: try before you buy! There are noticiable differences in even similar models of the same brand. There's no substitute for finding the right individual instrument that works in your hands & sounds good to your ears.

Have fun gear shopping. Please ask more if necessary!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory