View post (done)

View thread

lefty_joe
lefty_joe
08/28/2018 12:38 pm

I completely agree with Jeff. I heard Lisa recommend you stick to one thing and try to master that. Just one thing. It could be a chord change, or chord progression, or maybe even a song. Regardless, choose one thing and try to master it.

I tried that, and at first it feels you're just falling behind on all the course content since you're just sticking to one thing. It feels you're just doing exactly the same thing every single day while others are doing something else or far more advanced. Well, once you overcome that feeling and stick to your goal of mastering something, good stuff starts to happen. All of a sudden you can do something really well with your guitar, regardless of what that is and how minute it may seem in the whole realm of playing a guitar. The important thing is you CAN do something really well (almost to perfection) with your guitar. The takeaway....you can indeed play the guitar and can now move to the next mastering goal. To my surprise, once I was able to sort of master one thing, the next step seemed to be a bit easier, or at least not as daunting.

One thing which helped me overcome this "I'm falling behind" feeling was to continue watching lessons, even if I only were so-so with keeping up with a song or a strumming pattern. That helped me "stay" on track (at least psychologically since there's no real timeline to learn each concept). I could always go back to lessons and "master" concepts.

I hope this helps you reconsider your position and come back to this wonderful world of music. Time is relative, and each of us have a right time for everything. We're unique in every way, and things will happen for you at the right time.