Playn´ with Wah Wah

Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
09/12/2002 12:04 pm
What do you think about Wah Wah. I just adore it and I love to play solos with wah on.

But I don´t do the traditional wahwahwahwah technique. It´s more like whe I start some fast runs I first close the wah and than slowly open it while I´m playn´ the thing. Hammett uses this a lot, just listen to Fight Fire With Fire solo (beggining).

Mostly I have wah in the middle position and than close it and opening it depending on how it fits in the solo (my opinion). I think sound gets much more powerfull and tha it´s so damn easy to pinch A.H.

What´s your thoughts ´bout Wah Wah.

P.S. I know that Kirk H. and Zakk W. really like it.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/12/2002 12:35 pm
Fast Eddy Clark (ex- Motorhead) got me into Wah, big time ! One of my fave. effects !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
MikeP.
MikeP.
09/12/2002 2:50 pm
The Wah kicks butt! The wah is your friend and mine :-)
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.
# 3
MikeP.
MikeP.
09/13/2002 1:59 am
By far in my oppinion the best Wah song has got to be Joe Satriani's "Back To Shalla-Bal" (Flying In A Blue Dream album)
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.
# 4
u10ajf
u10ajf
09/13/2002 8:11 pm
Voodoo chile kicks so much more ass than any other Hendrix I've heard but I've not heard much. Any recommendations?
On the subject of wah solos check out "cool #9" and "why" by satriani.
Personally I'm a bit of a treble freak and I probably overdo it with my crybaby wah but I love screaming pinch harmonics. The bassier end I like for fluid scalar stuff.

Does anyone know why wah's so much "wider" in what it control when you back of the gain?

If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/13/2002 8:50 pm
There are a lot of compellations albums however my faves song are :

(You will be able to find all of these on line as MP3s!!!)

Red House
Wind Cries Mary
All Along the Watchtower (Bob Dylan wrote it and his rendition is v. pale by comparison)
Hey Jo
Little Wing

Many more however these are just my faves !!!!

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
09/13/2002 9:45 pm
My recomendation for Hendrix are:

Purple Haze
Hey Joe
The Wind Cries Mary
Foxy Lady
Little Wing
Castles Made Of Sand
Red House
Catfish Blues
All Along The Watchtower
Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
51st Anniversary
Fire
Drivin' South

these ain't in any particular order, also check out his woodstock concert, it's amazing!

# 7
MikeP.
MikeP.
09/15/2002 9:14 am
Castles Made Of Sand and Spanish Castle Magic are my two favorites :-)

Shred may be my favorite type of music but as far as blues goes, I love Hendrix, Clapton, B.B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and Freddie King.

The first blues song I ever mastered was Freddie king's "Hideaay" Awsome jam song :-)

I would love to get better playing the blues but at this point in my life don't have much time, being in 2 bands, wife, work. Someday I'll actually woodshed and learn the blues and concentrate on it like I did when I was in my Neoclassical phase.

# 8
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
09/15/2002 8:08 pm
there's also Cream's "white room". that has probably some of the heaviest wah ever.

i love the wah's effect but i hate what it does to the sound when not in use. any good wahs out there that are easy to switch off and on
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 9
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
09/15/2002 8:21 pm
Originally posted by zepp_rules
...i love the wah's effect but i hate what it does to the sound when not in use. any good wahs out there that are easy to switch off and on

I hate the wah sound when not in use too, wether it's treble or bass, or in the middle position... I haven't seen good wah-pedals that have an On/Off switch, but you can use an A/B switch for this, but you'll have to get extra cables and a spliter for this...
But you can use more simple setup than this if you have a multi-effect with an I/O for an external effect, so you can controle it being On/Off from your pedal board..
# 10
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
09/16/2002 3:16 pm
There's a modification that you can do yourself to make a wah-wah "true-bypass". Most wahs are not true-bypass, meaning that your signal is still coloured by the wah's circuitry, even when you have it switched "off". The mod seems pretty simple to do. Check out this link: Fulltone.com's true-bypass mod instructions

I have a Dunlop 535Q Crybaby wah, and it's already true-bypass, so I haven't tried this mod yet. However, I did experience the annoyance of having a Dunlop Original Crybaby colour my guitar sound before I got this wah pedal.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.