View post (The wildest guitar player)

View thread

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
09/12/2002 6:17 pm
"Why is it such a shame Yngwie did that?"
because he was the forerunner for the shredders, and his sound was to use an ultra clean tone... it's like eating one lump of stuff with no texture with just flavour.. And the shredders took that frome there.. I do like clean tone some times, but not ALL the time..
Voodoo chile has a wonderful gut-busting guitar roar, and as much as lot of shredders refuse to accept, the NOISE of the instrument is vital for the overall sound... Listen to Yingiwie, it's technically good, but the tone is os-so middle of the road, and has the tone is totally lacking in charecter...
Dont get me wrong, I'm always working to play FASTER, but i certainly would avoid using his tone... I love the sound of 100 head going through a marshall cab...
I'm not a fan of the 80's shreding, It's mostly due to the excessive and predictable use of pinched harmonics.. it's just *low riff... screaming harmonic, riff.... screaming harmonic, high extended riff, sometimes with an e-bow*, it's not wholly imaginative..
THat's why i like "noise" bands (have a listen to The WORST, Ten beson, Alec empire, my bloody valentine)... Plus thier song writing talent never sees the light of day.. With exception of slayer, but then again i'm not a big fan of slayer..

I didn't comment at all about playing (but no i dont like his playing either, but that's a wholly different subject).

Are you a session musicain by the way? (just an observation: I've found it a trend amoung session musicains, that i cant explain to them Sonic Youth for example... they're very technically minded..)

[Edited by educatedfilm on 09-12-2002 at 01:20 PM]