View post (I'M BACK)

View thread

Bardsley
Bardsley
09/12/2002 1:51 pm
While I am not a fan of gun ownership, I think it is often a matter of culture. In Australia, guns have been fairly well kept down, so people don't need them. As soon as there are as many people owning them as there are in the states, well, you can understand how it might be safer that everybody be allowed have them, rather than just put in place laws that only the criminals will be able to bypass.
Side note, Christoph, your view of what "objective" is baffles me. I'm not able to comment objectively on society, and, I'm sorry, but neither are you. You assume that an economy will be crippled by Kyoto; I believe that it is possible to develop an economy base don jobs created through environmental workers. It comes down a lot to values. While I believe in air for future generations, and similarly believe that animals deserve habitat (for instance), you don't. All of these values colour what we see as "fact" to make everything we say completely subjective. If I say Clinton was great because he inspired people (as an example), and you say he sucked because of employment (again, random word), there's no objective truth as to what is better,and to who is right about him.
Of course, guys, I love you all. :D
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".