chipped nut

fmarty
fmarty
09/02/2002 7:40 pm
I have an EPI LP standard that has a small chip out of the nut next to the outside of the low E string. How big a deal is it to get a new nut installed. Is this something that one can do themselves? Any advice on replacement nuts? Would a graphite nut be the way to go on this guitar?
Should the low e string fit completely in the nut. It seemed to be sitting almost on top rather than in the groove? Thanks in advance. FM
# 1
James8831
James8831
09/03/2002 7:03 pm
fmarty, nuts drive me..well...nutz!, they are a serious amount of work and time to get right,plus any precision files you'd buy for this are around about the cost of having 2 or 3 professionally cut nuts installed.

I advise bone or brass for good tonality and sustain on a guitar with a fixed bridge, graphite can be good for trem equipped guitars.

The lower strings should sit "about halfway out of the nut" and and the highest should be just about all the way "in".

How's your playing advancing?
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 2
fmarty
fmarty
09/04/2002 7:03 pm
Thanks for the reply. Did some checking and found a pre-cut nut from "Graph Tech" for my EPI but in reading about nuts it appears that they should be cut for each individual guitar to really be done right. More to it than I thought. I'd probably damage the neck trying to get the old one off so I'm going to take it in to the local guitar shop and have it done. My playing is more or less just fooling around at this point but I'm learning a few things and having fun. Fingers are finally getting tough enough. Thanks again. FM
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.