Stanley Jordan

u10ajf
u10ajf
08/20/2002 12:00 am
Any of you guys heard of stanley jordan? I bought a best of CD the other day having read about his amazing talent for playing several melodic lines at once. In terms of note content he sounds like a talented jazz pianist, why Allan Holdsworth is so much more famous I don't know. Yes Holdsworth kicks ass (in a slightly esoteric way sometimes) and listening to more than two tracks at once is a deeply humbling experience but I can't even begin to imagine how Jordan plays what he does it's a total head****! He is probably the most technically awesome guitarist I've ever heard and he's well capable of shredding like a bastard even while juggling several melodies. Can anyone else recommend guitarists I should listen to who are really great at tapping several lines at once?
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
08/20/2002 12:55 pm
Holdsworth is more famous (I don't think the term really applies here);) because he is a real innovator BOTH in a technical level AND in a songwriting/harmony/conceptualization level.
When you hear Jordan's CDs, they are 80% covers, and some of them kind of suck, some are only good covers and a couple are great (his Ravel's Bolero is great) but, when you think wow, that guy is alone it's quite amazing. While Allan plays mostly his tunes, and when he covers something (the only cover I heard was the Beatles Michelle) he twists it in such a way that you can only bow and say you're a master.
Check out Charlie Hunter, who plays both Bass and guitar parts in his duo (which sounds like a trio...).
# 2
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
08/22/2002 1:49 pm
I´ve heard that he has amazing two handed technique skills.

However, who do you think got best two handed techique? My personal fav. is Steve Vai.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 3
u10ajf
u10ajf
08/25/2002 1:34 pm
I'd like to hear some Michel Angelo before I comment, I've heard great things about his playing and that he has a two neck guitar with necks placed at 120 degrees so he can play both at once. This sounds like a damn good idea for a self-acompanying guitarist 'cause ever time you play a string with one hand you rule out playing another note simultaneously with the other on that same string. I've only heard one track but that was years ago and I don't remember much about it.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.