Goth V care and maintenence

Tangento
Tangento
08/19/2002 4:55 pm
Hey all,
I am new here, and I just bought a mint Epiphone Goth Flying V on e-bay for $300.00. (couldn't afford the Gibby)
I am real happy with this axe, and I am just wondering if anyone else here has a Goth.
I have no clue what to use to clean the finish, as it is a flat black.
Any suggestions?
http://www.tangento.iwarp.com
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/20/2002 12:39 am
Congrats on the new axe.

I've spent years working out how to keep my guitars shiny, (I finally settled on Pledge furniture polish), so cleaning a flat-black finish is kinda out of my line. We've got thousands of members, though. Somebody's gotta know!?!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/20/2002 4:48 am
Hey Tangento, because of body oil and the normal abrasion of handling, the flat finish probaly won't stay perfectly flat very long, you'll pick up some shiny spots over time especially if it's any kind of laquer product, the best bet for cleaning would be to wipe it down with a soft clean cloth after playing, about once a week take a cloth, fold it up, and breath into the cloth, letting the cloth absorb the moisture in your breath, and clean a small area, keep repeating the process until finished. You are in kind of a Catch 22, the more you rub on this guitar, the more it's going to take on a sheen, the only other thing I would recommend is the occasional ( 2Xayear ) wipe down with a small amount of Naptha on a cloth, Naptha is the same as cigarette lighter fluid, just be careful, don't burn down the house, Have you contacted Epiphone? They should know better than any, I'd be interested in what they suggest.......
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.