Mixcraft / Guitar Rig

willemguitar
willemguitar
08/10/2018 12:52 pm

Hi i'm back at learning guitar....again ;)

I want to do some recording so i can listen back and keep track of progress.

Before i was also using Cubase and a couple of other DAW's

But i was spending more time learning to work with DAW's (and fiddeling with effects etc.) then actual guitar learning and gave up several times already.

So this time i want to keep focus on guitar learning i dont have any idea on how to create songs anyway so full blown DAW i dont need.

I just want to have backing tracks and jam over it and record this.

I found Mixcraft 8 it's cheap and supposed to be really easy to work with

comes with a whole bunch of samples etc. for low price.

Or should i get something like Guitar Rig 5 i believe it can run standalone and have backing tracks and is able to record.

My connection will be over USB from an Fender GT 40 amp to PC.

Please advice..

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/10/2018 5:58 pm

Hey & welcome back!

Originally Posted by: willemguitar

But i was spending more time learning to work with DAW's (and fiddeling with effects etc.) then actual guitar learning and gave up several times already.

[/quote]

DAWs have a pretty steep learning curve. And there's quite a bit about music production you need to know just to get up & running to make basic backing tracks.

With that in mind, you might want to look at some simpler options like Audacity makes a fairly basic DAW that you can use to just import MP3 backing tracks, then record your guitar on a second track. I'm guessing all you want is two digital audio tracks, the ability to import MP3s, & multitrack record your guitar on top.

I think Mixcraft 8 is a full blown DAW like Cubase, so you might be getting way too much horsepower there. They might have a stipped down version of the product.

[quote=willemguitar]

Or should i get something like Guitar Rig 5 i believe it can run standalone and have backing tracks and is able to record.

[p]Guitar Rig does have an option to import & play backing tracks. It also claims to have a recording feature. But I'm not sure about the ability to multitrack record: the backing track & your recorded guitar together.

I know the Fender GT40 connects to PC with amp to PC. So, as long as you can find an easy way to multitrack you are good to go!

I found this video showing how to record you guitar using Fender gear & Audacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjZFSZwxjAk

Hope that helps! Let us know how it goes. Best of success with your guitar playing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
willemguitar
willemguitar
08/17/2018 7:34 am
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Hey & welcome back!

[/quote]

DAWs have a pretty steep learning curve. And there's quite a bit about music production you need to know just to get up & running to make basic backing tracks.

With that in mind, you might want to look at some simpler options like Audacity makes a fairly basic DAW that you can use to just import MP3 backing tracks, then record your guitar on a second track. I'm guessing all you want is two digital audio tracks, the ability to import MP3s, & multitrack record your guitar on top.

I think Mixcraft 8 is a full blown DAW like Cubase, so you might be getting way too much horsepower there. They might have a stipped down version of the product.

[quote=willemguitar]

[p]Guitar Rig does have an option to import & play backing tracks. It also claims to have a recording feature. But I'm not sure about the ability to multitrack record: the backing track & your recorded guitar together.

I know the Fender GT40 connects to PC with amp to PC. So, as long as you can find an easy way to multitrack you are good to go!

I found this video showing how to record you guitar using Fender gear & Audacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjZFSZwxjAk

Hope that helps! Let us know how it goes. Best of success with your guitar playing!

Hi Christopher

I found a pretty good solution.

I traded the GT40 for a Focusrite Scarllet 2i2 and studio monitors.

With the 2i2 i can have sound from Amplitube + the guitar tricks website.

This was not possible with the GT40 well possible but with huge delay and crackling.

I use a demo version of Amplitube 4 i can just drag and drop the backing tracks.

It has all i need for now so no longer need a full DAW.

In the full version it has 8 track DAW recorder build in and a 4 track looper.

It's super easy to use i love it!

Just need to save some money to buy Amplitube 4 now it is pertty exspensive

but well worth it i think amps are really good ;-)

Here's a test recording from Walk Downtown by Lisa.

Walk Downtown

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/17/2018 12:36 pm

I found a pretty good solution.

I traded the GT40 for a Focusrite Scarllet 2i2 and studio monitors.

With the 2i2 i can have sound from Amplitube + the guitar tricks website.

[p]That's wonderful! Glad you found a practical solution.

Thanks for the recording, it sounds great. Well done! Keep practicing & enjoying your new gear. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.