Strumming Rhythm

malweth
malweth
08/13/2002 10:59 am
One thing I'm kind of confused on is strumming rhythm. I've looked at the beginner songs site
http://www.guitarnoise.com/beginner/index.html

but I'm not really understanding how the rhythms shown for "Horse with no name" actually match to the song!

Em F#m13
I’ve been to the desert on a horse with no name
Em F#m13
It felt good to be out of the rain

I don't understand when to change chords, and don't understand if I should be matching the rhythm of the guitar to the words, or to the example rhythms given earlier on that page.

Thanks for the help!

-Zeke
# 1
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
08/13/2002 3:50 pm
I hate it hen they dont give you the rhythm for the chords. If I were you , I'd sing along with the song, or play along and listen to the words, that way you'd know when to make they chord changes. And i'de just make up a strumming rhythm that sounds nice. (If you listen to a recording, use that strumming pattern)
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 2
David C
David C
08/13/2002 4:07 pm
This has been a big challenge for me: trying to avoid strumming to the exact beat of the words. It's hard to avoid, but practice will help. You need a steady rhythm for strumming, which shouldn't exactly match the sound of the words. I don't play this song, but it looks like four beats on Em and two beats on that F#m13 chord. A simple way to do it is just play all downstrokes. After you get this sounding good, try mixing in an upstroke or two, for example during the chord changes.

Also, when they put the chord between two words, it can be confusing. For me, it is hard to change chords in the middle of a word. I usually change at the beginning of a word. From what I remember about this song, you should change chords on the word "horse."

Hope this helps,

DC
"It's all right son . . . we told you what to dream"
# 3
malweth
malweth
08/13/2002 4:29 pm
thanks for the help... I think I might try something a little tougher than 'horse' - just so I can play a song I'm more familiar with.

I did manage to get a recording of 'horse' but I haven't analyzed it too much yet. I'm just a beginner at all this ;)

The real question is - what to do from 5:00 - 7:00?! My 1st lesson is at 7:30, and I don't want to play before it (so my fingers aren't too raw).
# 4
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
08/13/2002 5:18 pm
Why not play before your lesson, I do if I get there early. Your fingers are warmed up and its extra practice anyway. Like, you could practice the stuff your guitar teacher gives you or something.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.