View post (This time it’s going to happen)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
08/13/2018 2:27 pm
Originally Posted by: zollybosher

Well thanks for that reply- yes a few linguistic mistakes there. My “problem” is being able to arch my 3rd from left finger enough to hold down the 3 rd fret on the 6 th open G no matter how I seem to “attack” this string and from what angle some part of my finger stops the A from vibrating

It seems as though in order to hold down I have to be some contortionist- I have been practicing for 3 weeks now - not every day @ 30-40 mins every other day and whilst the rest of notes. (I am not even thinking about chords yet until I know I can nail the basics). I have to reach right round under the neck and this then pulls my arm out of shape.

I suppose it’s a learning curve but one that at the moment is proving difficult and this is the only the beginning.

Many years ago I remember having the same kind of stumbling block and “gave up” telling myself not everyone is cut out to be a rock star.

Unfortunately my mind is still trying to convince me otherwise. Thanks for the words of encouragement . I will stick at it and maybe, soon I hope my finger will hit the spot time after time then I can move on

😀

This is kind of a 'standard' answer when people feel that their hands aren't working with them; Django Reinhardt. He lost the use of his ring and pinky fingers in a fire. Not only didn't it slow him down, he is regarded as one of the great guitar players of the 20th century.

It's not a matter of finding a reason you can't do it, but finding a way that you can.

Over the last year, I've whined about the trevails of my injured wrist and then indext finger (sprain and tendon pinch respectively). I've been playing since the early 80's and have been a pretty decent player. Injuries set you back and in some ways, you have to relearn how to play something. And speaking of 'Something'...I've recently been on a jag of learning acoustic versions of songs just because. This last weekend, with my index finger not totally back to A grade, I decided I wanted to work up the Beatles 'Something'. Lot's of variations of Open C. The chord that has vexed me most with the index tendon pinch. I can fret it very sloppily. I get buzzes and flatted strings. Not awesome. Open C used to be a walk in the park. It will be again but I have to relearn my hand to fret the chord cleaner.

My finger will eventually come back to normal but it's teaching me to be patient given that it never used to be an issue until now.

We all have it at some time; that thing we can't do. I've played as a decently skilled metal 'shredder' (I'm 53, so that was galaxy far, far away now...) and always kept the ability to be a rock solid rhythm player and never really feared trying something new. But.....Lack of fear does not equal the speed with which I would learn something. Some are harder than others.

Patience is definately your ally. You'll be frustrated some times, it happens. But no matter how long or how good, there is that thing that you'll try that seems out of reach. Up and until you've practices and kept at it and did not totally demoralize yourself.