View post (Enough with the made easy song lessons)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
08/22/2018 12:02 am

Good points raised in your post jarkko.

Although there's no right or wrong, rather personal predilection as you point out, fairly obviously GT has to try and keep everyone happy within a finite resource budget - isn't that always the impossible ask? Commercially, that would imply triaging priority to their primary paying demographic with enough to everyone else to keep them sufficiently saftisfied they still see value in subscribing. That's just good business 101.

For myself, I agree with you. Teach me how to fish for myself rather than depend upon someone else catching fish for me. Theory to develop understanding, then applying it in practice along with technique finesse as far as that can be taught vs nuance only truly learned through experience is what I prefer too.

Song licensing is obviously expensive, and there's no way GT can cater to all genres and range of tastes in the same way the wider internet and You Tube can. Especially very popular huge hit songs which must incur quite stiff licencing fees with restrictive performance and publication rights. i.e. lesson not downloadable, score not available either.

For learning songs whether it's easy version, condensed to a single guitar, or multiple parts, You Tube is a buffet. It's the structured learning courses where sites like GT can add value and really shine, especially for novitiates which is undeniably where the highest "it's too hard" or "it takes to long to learn" quit rate is high.