Tuning Machine Heads

chris_m_bell
Full Access
chris_m_bell
Full Access
07/28/2018 5:34 pm

So. took my guitar in to have a minor set up done it.

Guitar tech find it’s generally in good shape but, some of the knobs on the tuning machines are cracked. No big deal really, they still work.

The guitar comes stock stock with Ping locking tuners.

He proceeds to tell me that locking tuners are actually intended for guitars with tremolo a style tailpiece. A Bigsby tailpiece I guess?

The reason being, a locking tuner has a shorter post consequently there are fewer wraps around the post. Thus, when using the tremolo the strings aren’t being tightened around the post causing the guitar to go out of tune.

it sounded reasonable to me. But since I know very little about tuners you could tell me anything and it might sound reasonable.

is what he said true?

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
07/29/2018 2:46 am

Locking tuners have two advantages implemented by their fundamental mech.

1. They require fewer string winds on the post because they utilise a mech securing the post and string, not because the post is shorter. Once users learn to restring locking tuners properly, restringing is quicker. [u]This is a secondary benefit[/u]. There are different types of locking tuners.

2. Their [u]primary purpose for deployment[/u] is for improved tuning stability on tremolo equipped guitars by reducing string slippage ocurring with conventional tuners induced by repetitious tremolo application.

The disadvantage is that they are more expensive leading to them not being commonplace factory fitment on lower price point or even many mid-range guitars where not prerequisite to function.

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.