View post (Practice Schedule)

View thread

jeff.szankovics
jeff.szankovics
07/21/2018 7:55 am

I feel like this is a question you can answer yourself. What do you feel like you're lagging behind in? Chord changes? Work some change exercises into your routine. Scales? Same thing...pick a key and try to play through the positions of the scale you want to play in that key. Songs? Learn a new song or work on a song you're trying to perfect. I don't feel like doing anyhting on the guitar is wasted at all. Anything you do is going to improve some aspect of your playing, be it picking or what have you. My big thing is i suck at fretboard memorization. Sure i can count the notes up and down the string, but if you asked me what note is on the 7th fret of the b string i couldn't tell you without counting up in my head to that position, and even then it's not a 100% thing i feel. The final thing i can say is this: It's not a race. There's no winning at playing the guitar. Many many people learn open chords and thats all they want to learn. Still others want to blast out 16th note scales ala Yngwie Malmsteen and thats great too. It's a journey and i feel like we should enjoy taking it.