Direct Request, Mike!!

stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
06/19/2018 2:17 pm

I know the normal channels of requesting songs via the general GT request form but I thought I'd go straight to the source here. The one classic tune that will forever 'have it all' is Dire Strait's great "Sultans of Swing" I suppose there may be licensing issues or whatever but talk about a tune that has it all!! Vibrato utilizing several strings at once....tasteful rhythm guitar and that classic solo theme throughout!! Just a well written and honed song by Mark.....custom built for guitarists! I've seen a few YOUTUBE attempts but to have a nice complete study would definitely.....well...........SWING!!

How's the Pete Townsend project coming along or is it already along and waiting for its final release, M.O.??

Jim C.

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/20/2018 2:23 pm

Hey Jimbo!!! Great request - totally agree on all your points, and would LOVE to teach that one. I'll send it along to the powers at be and keep my fingers crossed. The Townsend study is shot and in editing at the moment - not sure when they plan to release it but know that it is coming!!

Keep rockin'!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
06/29/2018 2:30 pm

M.O.:

If...........if you need any more cannon fodder to sell GuitarTricks on you doing Dire Strait's (Mark Knopfler) "Sultans of Swing" and Olekshyfying it for us.......just with me listening to this solo the other day......it's his great use of arpeggios throughout this tune, Mike!! What a phenomenal vehicle for us to really start feeling comfortable inserting arpeggios into our guitar solos!! Any way.........this now means I'm up to a whopping 4 cents with my advice on this classic tune!! Jim C.

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/01/2018 2:04 pm

Haha - thanks Jim --- the request has been passed along to the powers at be! Fingers crossed.

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.