View post (Gretsch for a beginner?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
06/19/2018 4:59 am

My .02c. Don't buy on looks as #1 priority. Buy the right functional fit tool for you, then pick one you like the sound (pickup type & config), colour & styling of.

How does the APX600 suit your hands/fingers?

The APX600 is short scale, narrow 10mm string spacing, slim C neck, 43mm nut. Can't remember the radius, but it's typical Yamaha. For an acoustic it's a fast neck and action which works really well for smaller hands and fingers. I have one and love it.

IME older styled classics in most American brands are fine if you have long fingers or large hands. [u]I don't and I don't like them.[/u] Nothing against the brands per se. Since the '60's, necks and radius have changed. Today we have a choice. Modern is good.

Ultimately it comes down to personal fit. I think this is the most important aspect of playing anything like you own it. Does't matter how good the guitar can potentially sound. If it doesn't fit you, you'll struggle with it and so will your playing. It'll just never feel ergonomic.

Fit is a personal thing which will be driven by finger length and flexibility which is usually characteristic of body shape IME. Someone that finds a five fret stretch "nothing to it" naturally easy will likely be a ectomorph. If that isn't you, be [u]cautious[/u] of off the rack classics [u]without trying first[/u]. For that reason I'd buy, and did, a modern Cort -or similar in a semi hollow body clone, or Yamaha Pacifica 'Strat' anyday over a classically styled Les Paul, Gretsch or Fender Strat. People with fingers the size and length of legends like Berry and Hendrix would probably hate them and find the fret space cramped like someone 6'4" trying to squeeze into an A-4 cockpit (impossible) or a Mazda Miata (MX-5) - decidedly uncomfortable.

[br]Fit is very important IME. Know your size if buying 'off the rack' online. I do too because I'm in a similar position to you regarding guitar retailer proximity.