Power Chords

epalf
epalf
06/11/2018 7:53 am

I'm looking for a bit of help with power chords. I'm working through fundamentals 2 and seem to have been on the power chord section for a lifetime. I just can't seem to get them sounding good. I have tried muting the open strings to stop them sounding, only hiting the three strings in the chord, which does improve things enormously but is quite hit and miss when I build speed up and even then to my ear they just don't sound like the ones Lisa plays. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Eric

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
06/11/2018 7:39 pm

Hi epalf,

When playing power chords, you have to make sure your fingers aren't getting in their own way. Power chords are also essentially barre chords, so you have to make sure your grip is strong enough to hold the strings down.

I suggest focusing first on the 3-finger power chords, and then working your way up. Also, it's completely okay to skip forward in a lesson if you're stuck. If you keep practicing the same lesson, you may get bored, or frustrated and that's no fun at all.

Hope that helps~

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
epalf
epalf
06/12/2018 7:48 am

Thank you for your reply. I think you're right , my fingers do seem to get in the way. I looked when I was practising yesterday. The problem I have is that I broke my wrist very badly a few years ago and it did have pins in it which they have since removed but it does leave me with slight movement issues. I'll have to find a way around the problem. I seem to be able to adapt to most things so I'm sure I'll find a solution. If Django Rienhardt can do it so can I :)

Thanks again for the suggestions.

# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/20/2018 2:40 pm

Hi Epalf,

That's the spirit - if Django could do it, then.....!

It sounds like you are totally on the right track with your practicing and refining of the technique. It is NOT easy, so give yourself time and patience.

What is most important after all is said and done, is that the power chord 'concept' and 'magic L' system makes sense to you - in terms of a window into understanding the logic of the guitar as an instrument.

The tone and technique will come with practice - slow, patient practice.

Have fun! - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
epalf
epalf
06/23/2018 11:08 am

Thanks for the reply Lisa. I,m getting there slowly and the sound is improving. The magic L is sinking in and I don,t have to think about where notes and chords are so much, certainly on the E string anyway. Overall I,m quite pleased with my progress and try and not get too hung up on things that don,t go so well and possibly for me don,t spend too long on things that have gone well but try and move on to another thing to master. Throughly enjoying the experience though.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.