notes on the fretboard

gilouch0
gilouch0
06/06/2018 3:12 am

Does anyone have a nice tip / trick on how to remember the notes on the neck ??

Right now I can go from 6th string to 1st on the first 5 frets but I need to do it in that order I can't just start on 3rd string immediately and know the notes.

Same if I move horizontally, I know 6th string has G A B on frets 3-5-7 and then I keep counting from that (same on the other strings).

I also know that on 5th fret the note is the one from the open string below (except for B)

Also there are the rules of string 6 to 4 and 2 frets higher OR string 6 to 3 and 3 frets lower, OR also string 6 to 5 and 5 frets lower then finally string 6 to 5 and 7 frets higher.

I also obviously know the notes on fret 12, and that string 1 and 6 are the same. ANd on top of that there is that B string which has only 2 steps from G string so missing 1/2step.

So this is a lot of tricks but none of them makes it intuitive, fast or easy to find all the notes.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/06/2018 1:19 pm
Originally Posted by: gilouch0Does anyone have a nice tip / trick on how to remember the notes on the neck ??[/quote]

One of the best ways is to use the octave method. First learn the pattern of the notes on the E string:

E |----|---|----|---|----|---|----|----|---|----|---|----|[br]B |----|---|----|---|----|---|----|----|---|----|---|----|[br]G |----|---|----|---|----|---|----|----|---|----|---|----|[br]D |----|---|----|---|----|---|----|----|---|----|---|----|[br]A |----|---|----|---|----|---|----|----|---|----|---|----|[br]E |-F-|---|-G-|---|-A-|---|-B-|-C-|---|-D-|---|-E-|

[br]Then, visualize octaves of the same letter on the E, D, & B strings. For example, like this for E, F & G:

E |----|----|----|---|----|----|---|---|---|[br]B |----|----|----|---|-E-|-F-|---|-G-|---|[br]G |----|----|----|---|----|----|---|---|---|[br]D |----|-E-|-F-|---|-G-|----|---|---|---|[br]A |----|----|----|---|----|----|---|---|---|[br]E |-F-|----|-G-|---|----|----|---|---|---|

[br]Then continue up beyond the G! Next, learn the pattern of the notes on the A string:

E |---|----|----|---|----|---|----|----|---|----|---|----|[br]B |---|----|----|---|----|---|----|----|---|----|---|----|[br]G |---|----|----|---|----|---|----|----|---|----|---|----|[br]D |---|----|----|---|----|---|----|----|---|----|---|----|[br]A |---|-B-|-C-|---|-D-|---|-E-|-F-|---|-G-|---|-A-|[br]E |---|----|----|---|----|---|----|----|---|----|---|----|

[br]Then, visualize octaves of the same letter on the A, G & (high) E strings. For example, like this for A, B, & C:

E |---|----|----|----|-A-|---|-B-|-C-|---|[br]B |---|----|----|----|----|---|----|----|---|[br]G |---|-A-|----|-B-|-C-|---|----|----|---|[br]D |---|----|----|----|----|---|----|----|---|[br]A |---|-B-|-C-|----|----|---|----|----|---|[br]E |---|----|----|----|----|---|----|----|---|

[br]Continue beyond C! So you can learn the pattern of the notes on just two strings and then repeat the pattern in octaves from there. One system of letters & spacing, two strings, repeating patterns.

However, in my experience, the biggest single problem is that students don't really have a grasp on the system of musical letters in the first place. So start with that basic system.

A - (A#) - B - C - (C#) - D - (D#) - E - F - (F#) - G - (G#) - A

The point is that there is only one pattern of letters to learn. Then you apply it across the fretboard. :)

Make a little time everyday to call out notes. Make it a point of calling out notes when you play some music during your practing. You don't have to do it all the time. When you are playing music in real time there's no time for that!

Addressing specific comments!

Originally Posted by: gilouch0Right now I can go from 6th string to 1st on the first 5 frets but I need to do it in that order I can't just start on 3rd string immediately and know the notes.[/quote]

That's the advantage of the octave system. Once you grasp the pattern you can apply it all over the fretboard. Then you can start on for example the B string & reverse down to the low E string to find the pattern & note. The advantage here is that you are also working on locating the note on the D then E string as well!

Originally Posted by: gilouch0Same if I move horizontally, I know 6th string has G A B on frets 3-5-7 and then I keep counting from that (same on the other strings).[/quote]

Hop over to the D & B strings with that pattern: G-A-B. Get used to how it looks & sounds.

[quote=gilouch0]I also know that on 5th fret the note is the one from the open string below (except for B)

Good observation! The fact that you can play the same note in more than one place on the guitar has the potential for a lot of confusion. I address that in these tutorials on intervals & scales for beginners.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=363

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=445

[quote=gilouch0]Also there are the rules of string 6 to 4 and 2 frets higher OR string 6 to 3 and 3 frets lower, OR also string 6 to 5 and 5 frets lower then finally string 6 to 5 and 7 frets higher.

Yes! This is the octave method. :)

[quote=gilouch0]So this is a lot of tricks but none of them makes it intuitive, fast or easy to find all the notes.

Yes, it can be confusing & overwhelming. But consider: it's only 7 letters and one pattern that keeps repeating. You just have to get used to how that pattern shifts around & looks going string to string.

Practice identifying it a little every day. Work on the E string one day a week for a week. Move that to the D string next week, then the B string next week. In very little time you've got the whole fretboard memorized!

Hope this helps! Please ask more if necessary. Have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
06/06/2018 9:00 pm

Good question. Excellent answer. I found both helpful to me as well. Thank you.

# 3
lhagedorn
lhagedorn
06/06/2018 11:31 pm

Likewise, thank you!

Motivated to learn Guitar!

# 4
gilouch0
gilouch0
06/08/2018 4:13 am

thanks a lot, I am also realising that finding the intervals is as much important as finding the notes themselves. After studying the neck, I have come up with this, let me know if this looks correct, it's going from stting 6 to string 1 left to right 654321

Finding intervals on the neck going from string 6 to 1:

112211 (I-IV-vii-iii-V-I)

x11231 (x-I-IV-vii-V)

xx1133 (x-x-I-IV-vii-iii)

xxx123 (x-x-x-I-IV-vii)

xxxx22 (x-x-x-x-I-IV)

Major triad shape I-iii-V going from string 6 to 1 :

764xxx (I-iii-V-x-x-x)

x764xx (x-I-iii-V-x-x)

xx765x (x-x-I-iii-V-x)

xxx775 (x-x-x-I-iii-V)

xxxx76 (x-x-x-x-I-iii)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finding intervals on the neck from string 1 to 6 :

777788 (vii-iii-vi-ii-V-I)

77778x (iii-vi-ii-V-I-x)

7777xx (vi-ii-V-I-x-x)

777xxx (ii-V-I-x-x-x)

77xxxx (V-I-x-x-x-x)

Major triad shape I-V-iii going from string 1 to 6:

xxx988 (x-x-x-iii-V-I)

xx978x (x-x-iii-V-I-x)

x(10)88xx (x-iii-V-I-x-x)

(10)88xxx (iii-V-I-x-x-x)

88xxxxxx (V-I-x-x-x-x)

for some reason it is easier for me to remember having shapes like these that I know how to move and that always give me the same pattern of intervals

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/08/2018 3:16 pm
Originally Posted by: gilouch0thanks a lot, I am also realising that finding the intervals is as much important as finding the notes themselves.[/quote]

That's a great observation! Seeing patterns of intervals is a big step in the right direction of learning guitar & understanding how music works on the guitar.

Originally Posted by: gilouch0Finding intervals on the neck going from string 6 to 1:

112211 (I-IV-vii-iii-V-I)

x11231 (x-I-IV-vii-V)

xx1133 (x-x-I-IV-vii-iii)

xxx123 (x-x-x-I-IV-vii)

xxxx22 (x-x-x-x-I-IV)

[/quote]

You've got the right idea! But before you get too far along here I want to clarify some terminology. Roman numerals are used in music for the very specific purpose of identifying chord progressions & relationships.

When you want to label single note intervals, just use standard numbers with qualifiers. So your list would be.

112211 (1st, 4th, major 7th, major 3rd, 5th, 1st).

The entire list of all 12 possible intervals is covered in this tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=362

I cover the Roman numerals system of chord prorgression labeling here:

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=495

[quote=gilouch0]

Major triad shape I-iii-V going from string 6 to 1 :

764xxx (I-iii-V-x-x-x)

x764xx (x-I-iii-V-x-x)

xx765x (x-x-I-iii-V-x)

xxx775 (x-x-x-I-iii-V)

Another great observation! I cover how triad & inversions in this tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=824

I have a whole series of major & minor chord triads & inversions & how to cover all possible shapes of them across the fretboard. Go to my instructor directory & scroll down until you get to the section.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=155014#Triads_And_Inversions

[quote=gilouch0]for some reason it is easier for me to remember having shapes like these that I know how to move and that always give me the same pattern of intervals

Guitar is a very visual pattern oriented instrument. That's how people that don't know much theory or how to read can wind up playing it so well. They look for graphic patterns, learn to play them & how they sound. Then they can move them around at will. They know the patterns always make certain consistent sounds even i they don't know the technical names for all those patterns! :)[br][br]I encourage students to learn those identifying names so they can further understand what they are doing & integrate their knowledge more completely.

Hope that helps! Keep learning & practicing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
gilouch0
gilouch0
06/09/2018 1:32 am

thanks a lot!

this is a very long journey moving forward in baby steps ;)

# 7
gilouch0
gilouch0
06/09/2018 3:34 pm

just to end this topic as it might be interesting for other people, maybe ?

same fret 2 strings up is the minor 7th (of the root)

and we find the pattern perfect 5th-root-major 3rd in:

E shape voicing on strings 654 and 543

A shape voicing on strings 432

D shape voicing on strings 321

and major scale pattern on strings 654

4#----------------------4-6-7

5#--------------4-5-7-

6#--------5-7-

I find this very useful when learning licks and solos to actually understand why you are fretting where you are fretting.

# 8
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/10/2018 3:04 pm

More good observations!

Originally Posted by: gilouch0and we find the pattern perfect 5th-root-major 3rd in:

E shape voicing on strings 654 and 543

A shape voicing on strings 432

D shape voicing on strings 321[/quote][p]Yes, those are all 2nd inversions chord voicings.

[quote=gilouch0]

and major scale pattern on strings 654

4#----------------------4-6-7

5#--------------4-5-7-

6#--------5-7-

I find this very useful when learning licks and solos to actually understand why you are fretting where you are fretting.

Yes! That is the essence of targeting chord tones when you solo.

Major key improv

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=483

Minor key improv

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=491

More fundamentally, that's how music works: melody & harmony are part of the same overall integrated system. But a melody is horizontal using one note of a group at a time, while harmony (chords) is vertical using many related notes together.

Scales & chords relationships

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=426

Mozart 'Twinkle Little Star' learning to orchestrate

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=167

Great topic!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 9
gilouch0
gilouch0
06/10/2018 3:31 pm

I have watched the scale and chord relationship yesterday ;)

Will do the ones you just sent me.

I will also have a look at 1st, 2nd, 3rd inversions chord voicings

# 10
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/12/2018 12:09 pm
Originally Posted by: gilouch0

I have watched the scale and chord relationship yesterday ;)

Will do the ones you just sent me.

I will also have a look at 1st, 2nd, 3rd inversions chord voicings

Okay, good deal!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 11
Rdickerson
Rdickerson
07/06/2018 1:20 am

The octave tip is great! I have been trying to add 10-15 minutes of this to my practice to learn the notes. Thanks!

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.