Notation not matching video

pastro50
pastro50
05/24/2018 4:32 pm

Tom,

Appreciate the tutorials but the notation doesn't seem to match the video.

For example in Hey joe verse 1. Base Base down down up from the vid - so i expect to see 5 separate note/chords in the notation, but there is only three.

It would be helpful to have this match a bit better.

# 1
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/25/2018 4:50 am

Hi there, I am glad that you are enjoying the tutorials!

I believe the discrepency is because I played the rhythm a little different in the performance than durring the breakdown of verse 1. This kind of song can be challenging to teach, because it involves a fir amount of variation and and losseness in the rhythm playing. I would also say that this is part of Jimi's style. I understand that it can make it tricky to learn when the notation doesn't match exactly. I suggest not taking the rhythm too literally, rathe, learn the chords and basic rhythm patterns and start to play it with a degre of lossenes!

I hope this helps, Tom :)

# 2
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/25/2018 4:51 am

PS,

It sounds like I am mostly playing a single bass note or power chord on the down beat of each C chord. That should match the notation more closely.

# 3
HungryHorse
HungryHorse
10/09/2019 11:54 am

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would put my observations in this one.

I am enjoying trying to learn Sweet Home Chicago, but I have the same problem - the notation is just not representing what is getting taught.

There are a number of examples, but the one that spurred me to try to find an answer is in the second solo, 9th bar. Looks nothing like what is being played. Look at the video at 6:15 and compare to the tab...

I only just started with Guitar Tricks, but I would say 8/10 tracks that I have tried to learn so far have differences between the tab and what is taught in the video which is disappointing on a paid-for service that seems to be getting a lot of other stuff right.

Who is doing quality control?

# 4
dlazarak
Full Access
dlazarak
Full Access
11/04/2019 12:29 am

I would have to agree. I am learning Oye Como Va, and right from the get go, the ending of the first two phrases aren't taught in the video at all, so Im a little confused. It's not the first tune I've come across like that either.

# 5
dlazarak
Full Access
dlazarak
Full Access
11/04/2019 1:23 am

oops, I should have read your comment regarding leaving those end phrase notes out! My bad. And it is definitely easier to learn by leaving those embelishments out, those are reserved for Carlos lol!

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.