View post (how to master the G chord using pinky?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
02/07/2019 8:38 pm

Most will eventually, but not necessarily starting out. Unless you have some kind of irregular injury to your hand/fingers, you can. But it requires application of that venerable balm time.

It's really just a matter of persevering with it and practising it enough which comes from wanting to. It's not going to occur overnight, but eventually you'll be able to perform either at will.

P.S. Had to hurry away before completing my reply with: that said, the 1,2,3 finger pattern fulfills most open chord requirements for C or G most of the time. Where the alternate fingering comes in handy is for certain chord changes which are just too rapid to facilitate a change from/to for most of us, or simply makes more ergonomic shifiting sense than 1,2,3. e.g "Lyin' Eyes" by the Eagles which moves along at a brisk tempo, shifting from G to Gmaj7.To play this, I have to use 2,3,4 for open G in order to achieve the transition to Gmaj7 quickly and smoothly. Didn't come naturally to me either. It's just perseverence and practise.