View post (Where to start?)

View thread

landsman.daniel
landsman.daniel
05/14/2018 5:56 pm

Hi all,

I am new to the site and am excited to get going. I have been teaching myself the guitar since I was 18 (I am now 25). I know quite a few songs, I know random licks and bits and pieces of music theory from rabbit hole days on youtube. My question is, is it in my best interest to pretend I know less and go through the formal lessons laid out in the guitar fundamentals part 2? I took lessons from an instructor for about 2 months last summer but the money was not worth what I was learning in the short 30-minute time frame (and he was an easily distracted, prone to riff type teacher) but in that time I learned everything from the first part so I am comfortable skipping that.

I have an urge to jump ahead and start getting into one of the genre based lessons (I just purchased my first electric guitar last week -- have been playing a big baby Taylor for the past few years) but would I be wise to relearn things like major and minor scales from a more trusting source with continuity of learning?

Thanks!

Daniel