View post (How to RECORD and MIX Percussive Fingerstyle)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/07/2018 3:59 pm
Originally Posted by: Meridirh

I've been noodling around with shaping my percussive sound on the guitar for quite a while now. However, I simply cannot get it sound as "crisp" and "poppy" as the percussive elements in this video - I've got the same mics but cannot get the sound of my recordings sound as clear as in this video.

Hey, Lukas! You might directly message that guy & see if he's willing to let you pay him for a Skype lesson to give you some insight & info.

You really need to get your technique together to get that stuff to come across. Also, you mention the same mics, but that is only part of the recording capture process. You need to have a good interface with a decent pre-amp & possibly a compressor to bring the sound up to line level & make use of all the high end sparkle & low end thump that the mics are picking up.

Another factor is that guitar he's using has on-board electronics. He might be adding some direct signal to the mix from the guitar piezo pickup.

Rick Beato has some great info in this video about the complete process of recording acoustic guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfEgKbPOKV0

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory