View post (Some Theory behind the Art of Soloing)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
08/20/2002 12:32 am
thanx man, yeah I’ve been meaning to put it up on the tricks page I just haven’t had a chance. I’ve been pretty busy this past week, and I haven’t really been on.

How long should solo’s be? I guess it depends on how long the artist wants the solo to be. So there really isn’t a specific time for a good solo. Of course you don’t want to make it too long to where it gets boring, or too short to where they’re really isn’t a point. I think most solos are a piece of music in themselves, and most are based around a certain part in the song. So however long it takes to complete what they want to do is about the appropriate length. No solo should be too repetitious because then it’s not a solo (in my mind); it’s just a melodic lead, and there’s a difference although some solos do contain these.

Solo’s by definition is harmonizing one piece of music with another piece of music. A good type of solo that I think you would be looking for is a blues or blues rock type solo. They are relatively easy, not too long, and they sound kool. A lot of them also go by what I’m saying. Instead of me sending you a solo which you may or may not like, just search the net looking for <“whatever music your into” Solo Practice or Theory>. You should find hundreds of solo’s that are probably what you are looking for, and all you have to do is pick one that you like. They usually rate them on levels too, and have sound clips so you can hear them first before you attempt to learn them. You will probably find a lot of good tips also, so I think that would be better than me just sending you a random one.

Another good thing to do if you want to start with something basic, but will help you in the long run is. Learn random parts of classical music. Not the whole song but just a part that you might like. Like the Ode to Joy, or Fur Elise. Beethoven is my favorite as you can tell, but choose whatever you like.

Here's a part of Fur Elise:

e:------------------------------------------------------
b:------------------------------------------------------
g:--9-8-9-8-9-------------------------------------------
d:----------------9-12-10--------------7-9---------6-9-10------7-
a:---------------------------12--------7------------7----------0-7---
e:-------------------------------0-5-8--------0-7----------------

e:------------------------------------------------------
b:------------------------------------------------------
g:--9-8-9-8-9-------------------------------------------
d:----------------9-12-10--------------7-9---------10-9-7------7-
a:---------------------------12--------7-----------7-----------0-7---
e:-------------------------------0-5-8--------0-7----------------

Just something like this is what I mean. It also sounds really good on guitar.

Yeah to those who might have the original score, It is tabbed different but I know it this way cause I am a bass player. I also know there are are hamnmer-ons and pull-off but I didn't put those. Just play it the way you want.

"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.