epalf
epalf
04/06/2018 10:01 am

Hello All. I'm a 63 year old from the UK who has been dabbling with a guitar for the last 30 years and really getting nowhere. I've had lessons with tutors, but I think because of my age they assume you just want to play certain tunes. The first question is always " Who do you like or what style do you want to learn? " and out comes a TAB. I've tried various online sites but again most of the ones I've tried take you down a style route. I just wanted to learn how to play and then hopefully add my own style ( if any). At last I've found one that has a structured approach to learning. Lisa Mccormick explains and shows things in a way I can follow and it seems I'm finally getting somewhere.

# 1
Meridirh
Full Access
Meridirh
Full Access
04/06/2018 4:36 pm

Hey epalf,

great to have you here! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress :)

It's true that most sites push you into a style without teaching the very basics that we all need, no matter what style we eventually choose.

That's exactly what I like about GuitarTricks.com! It is great to have the fundamentals section that guides you through various concepts that are key to learn how to play the guitar.

No matter what style you eventually pick for yourself, you will need a basic understanding of what you are doing and that's exactly what you find within the fundamentels modules. :)

I wish you all the best on your journey!

Lukas

Limits are selfmade. Break beyond them!

www.meridirhproductions.com | Too old to learn multiple instruments? Let's put it to a test...

Guitar: Started January 2016

Styles/Genres I am currently studying:

- Classical Guitar

- Latin Style (Flamenco, Soleares)

- Folk Style (Pop, Celtic, Irish, Gypsi)

- (Fingerstyle) Blues

- (Fingerstyle) Jazz

# 2
andrew.colomb
Full Access
andrew.colomb
Full Access
04/09/2018 1:56 pm

Hi Epalf

I am in the same boat as you! I am 60 and revisted the guitar after about 40 years! GT has been an amazing tool! Its sometimes gets frustrating but as long as you are having fun and learning that is cool.

I am also in the UK - Eastbourne. Where do you live?

# 3
epalf
epalf
04/09/2018 5:59 pm

Hi Andrew. I must admit I am really enjoying it at the moment. Still absolutely useless but getting somewhere very slowly. I live near Northampton but funnily enough I was in Eastbourne a few weeks ago for work. Since joining GT I have thought it might be a good idea if others who are on the same journey could meet up now and again to maybe try and play a bit together or at least share experiences or problems.

Eric

# 4
andrew.colomb
Full Access
andrew.colomb
Full Access
04/10/2018 9:55 am

Thats why I asked if you were local it would be great to join up. I got involved with a small group of people when I attended a group workshop in Brighton run by Andy of Andyguitar.com and it has been very usefull to play along with basic songs with people of a similar ability. I am 60. I used to live closer to you in Bedford! pity!

# 5
epalf
epalf
04/10/2018 10:27 am

I'm hoping to find a group up here I can play along with a bit. It's fine at the moment but would be nice when and if I improve enough to join in with other people to give me a bit of motivation. I lived near to Bedford years ago in a village called Haynes.

# 6
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/11/2018 1:25 pm

epalf, I am SO HAPPY that my approach to teaching guitar has been helping you!

Thank you for letting me know, and have fun!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 7
epalf
epalf
04/14/2018 11:24 am

Hello all.

Thought I,d try and put on a photo of my guitar . It's an American Strat in Bordeaux metallic . Just need to learn how to play it as well as I polish it ! Play it through an old Fender Champ XD valve modelling amp. It sounds gorgeous. It has fat 50 pickups . Eric

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.