View post (Distortion)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/09/2018 3:43 am
Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

I figured as much, too much gain for what I'm trying to get. Now, thank you for your insight, but that leads me to two more questions:

1) Any tips on refining my palm muting technique?

[/quote]

It's a combination of a few things.

1. Finding just the right spot close to the bridge. Close to the bridge, but not too close. And not too far away either or else you get that choked sound. You are after a percussive, staccato sound that stops any chord from ringing too long.

2. Finding just the right amount of pressure to apply. Again, not too much or too little. But less is generally better.

3. Not too much gain! :)

Anders does a good job of dicsussing it in this tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1693

[quote=jasim.hd]

2) If I get this correct: they just use overdrive over the dirty/gain channel in the amp itslelf? A touch of overdrive to gain/dirt?

Yes. And a lot of the time, at least for rhythm guitar it is ALL just the gain stage on the amp. The only thing you really, truly need an overdrive pedal is for the compression to tighten up the sound a bit.

It's also invaluable on the higher lead notes because those strings are so thin & the string length is so short, but we're mostly talking rhythm guitar.

One other thing that might be missing here, yet unmentioned is VOLUME. Those Marshalls, Mes Boogies & Randalls were played LOUD. And it's really hard to substitute for that sheer power.

Don't worry about asking questions. That's what the forum is for. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory