View post (Distortion)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
03/07/2018 1:04 am

Here's a vid of the pedal and an Orange Micro. The tone at the outset is not as distorty. Link >> (note, by the end of the video, you may begin to hate the one riff he seems to play... ;) )

I've never been a total fan of actual distortion pedals. Overdrive pedals, yes. Distortion, no. From Stack Exchange:

"So what is the difference between a distortion and an overdrive? To put it simply, an overdrive pedal aims at simulating the creamy sound of an overdriven tube amp whereas a distortion does not try to simulate reality and usually offers more gain and is more aggressive."

A lot of good old school metal is overdriven and less so distorted. Not that this is an actual rule but; many producers and engineers will tell you that if you have the optimal tone you have when your sitting alone practicing, it is not the same tone that is used for recording.

Another thing to consider is that that tone you hear on the record is often undergirded by a bass line in the mix and multiple guitar tracks mixed to sound bigger than any one guitar track alone.

I'd also suggest that the first thing you want to do is ensure that whatever your tone goal, it needs to have clarity. Listen to Zakk Wilde on No Rest for the Wicked. Big and chunky but clear. If the buzziness of the distortion erases the clarity and articulation, the true tone is lost and you're creating buzz and not tone.

What's important is your AMP tone is setting the clarity and the distortion pedal is creating the sustain. Chris and I have joked of having the nearly the exact crappy amp/cab set up in the 80's. I mean, no self respecting rock star would admit to it...But great tone.[br][br]All this to say that you can't forget that the EQ channels on your amp are very powerful. With the garbage I had in the 80's, I learned that the amp and pedal are an ecosystem and both build your tone.[br][br]So...some randomn rambling tone thoughts.