Older Rocker Determined to Learn

Kev063
Kev063
03/04/2018 10:08 pm

Hi all,

I'm 53 love heavy rock, always wanted to play the electric guitar but never got round to it. This year I got myself a new Fender Squire OMG why didn't I do this years ago. Finding it very hard on finger's but apparently it gets easier.

I have been watching YouTube a lot but nothing seam's to be explained properly. I'm so glad to have found this website even tho I'm a complete beginner, I have found this website very helpful and well set out.

I'm now confident I will be rocking to my favorite bands in time lol.

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/04/2018 11:18 pm
Originally Posted by: k.olding63

Hi all,

I'm 53 love heavy rock, always wanted to play the electric guitar but never got round to it. This year I got myself a new Fender Squire OMG why didn't I do this years ago. Finding it very hard on finger's but apparently it gets easier.

I have been watching YouTube a lot but nothing seam's to be explained properly. I'm so glad to have found this website even tho I'm a complete beginner, I have found this website very helpful and well set out.

I'm now confident I will be rocking to my favorite bands in time lol.

Welcome and good luck!

And yep, gets easier on the fingers.

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
03/05/2018 3:14 am

Hi & welcome

[br]Which Squier do you have? Tele or Strat?

[br]It does get much easier on the fingers fast. Just keep at it little and often every day and that tenderness shouldn't be an issue within a fortnight.

To sooth initial fingertip soreness and accelerate the formation of the desired incipient calluses, when I initially returned after a long hiatus pretty much the beginner again, I found a recommendation from seasoned veterans to dab a little apple cider vinegar on them after each session truly works wonders.

Don't ask me to explain why, but I can vouch that it works. Don't forget to wash your hands before playing again though, or the acidic residue mixed with your sweat as you perspire will etch those B&E strings in no time if you don't, causing them to corrode accelerating rust formation and pitting in double quick time.

# 3
Kev063
Kev063
03/05/2018 7:16 am
Originally Posted by: manXcat

Hi & welcome

[br]Which Squier do you have? Tele or Strat?

[br]It does get much easier on the fingers fast. Just keep at it little and often every day and that tenderness shouldn't be an issue within a fortnight.

To sooth initial fingertip soreness and accelerate the formation of the desired incipient calluses, when I initially returned after a long hiatus pretty much the beginner again, I found a recommendation from seasoned veterans to dab a little apple cider vinegar on them after each session truly works wonders.

Don't ask me to explain why, but I can vouch that it works. Don't forget to wash your hands before playing again though, or the acidic residue mixed with your sweat as you perspire will etch those B&E strings in no time if you don't, causing them to corrode accelerating rust formation and pitting in double quick time.

Thanks for the tip with the cider vinegar will give it a go.

The Guitar is a Fender Squier strat with a small fender 15 amp. I know it;s only a cheep set up but seems like a good place to start. (Im sure they all sound the same when your a beginner who can't play). yet lol.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.