View post (Guitar Tricks Success Stories?)

View thread

Papa Rich
Papa Rich
02/23/2018 6:33 pm

So I will start with the fact that I am not a guitar hero to anyone but myself. I took lessons as a kid and hated it. I picked it up again in the 90s by buying an Esteban guitar and lessons and hated it. Then about three years ago I joined another website and was happy with my progress but it wasn't structured well. Then GT! I have gone through the I and II lesson programs and then the Blues as well as several other lessons. I would say now that I am a fairly good intermediate player. I can play many of my 60s-80s songs, both finger picking on the acoustic and lead on the Strat. I love the song lessons on GT and also use other sites. I usually learn the lead so I can play along with a backing track. That's the best. When you get to the point where you are starting to sound a bit like the greats, (kind of), then you really have fun and your confidence builds up really fast.

I feel that my journey with GT has been good for me. I spent the time going through the lessons. When I thought I knew enough and learned enough about scales, bends, vibrato, and movable chords, (all the spices of guitar playing), the whole guitar neck opened up for me. I realized that some of the famous songs of the past, (Stairway to Heaven, Aqualung, Still Got the Blues, Wonderful Tonight, SRV stuff, etc.) is not always insurmountable. It takes a lot of patience and time but it gets done, note by note.

This is why I feel that I went from zero to hero, (in my own mind). Other than blazing leads by Van Halen and others I feel that I can do many things that I never dreamed I was capable of doing in the 2-3 years of my journey. Have fun!