View post (Guitar Tricks Success Stories?)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
02/10/2018 7:16 pm

I've been playing since 1981(ish) so given there was no real internet, I learned to play the old fashioned way, by myself. Why am I here at GT?

Well, first, I don't dig in as much as I'd like given my life schedule but no matter your level, there is always something to learn. Always. I skipped a lot of good knowledge in the 80s because I didn't think I needed it. Wrong. Very wrong. Very, very wrong. I was going to be 'self-taught'. I really did quite well teaching myself but as you get older and want to slip out of that narrow thing you always did, that junk you skipped seems to all the sudden, matter.

This is not a Zero-to-Hero Guitar Tricks story but something important to know: You can always learn something no matter how good you are.

When I first joined GT, I went through Fundementals 2 course. There was a lot that I did skip but took some time just looking through the majo/minor scale stuff etc. It's funny, I learned scales 'my way' back in the day so I thought it worth a look. There was no great revalation within them for me, but there's always a little bit of something you pick up. Even when you think you know it. I gained something.

This is the point to you; doing GT's F1/F2 courses will help. You may think that some of it is too simple. Or maybe not. Gain from it. It is a basis to build from. That's the point. Get a foundation. I avoided a solid playing foundation decadesvago and did alright without it but really regret the gaps it created in my knowledge. I could physically play most anything I wanted (almost...) but that command of the instrument was never totally there because I didn't have the knowledsge to back it up.