Protecting Gear at Live Show

hdoran
Full Access
hdoran
Full Access
01/29/2018 3:14 pm

As background, many vernues we play have no real stage. The band is on the floor with the crowd. Fortunately, we have great crowds and good draw. Unfortunately, often the crowd is pushing up against the band during a live performance.

Two weeks ago, someone danced on my pedal board and snapped the tip of my power cable. Multiple times before this, someone stepped on the power supply and it came unplugged while I was playing.

Now, the broken tip was rare, and kinda hard to do, actually. But, I was able to finish the show but had to do some surgery on the board to fix it and pull out the end of the power supply with some tiny little pliers.

So, this begs the question. I want to "cover" my pedal board for situations like this with maybe a plexiglass type of module. Something that would allow for me to look down at my board and still see what's on/off and enough room for me to put my foot in and work the wah or kick pedals into action as needed.

My sense is that this would be entirely custom and I would make it myself. But, before doing so, I'm reaching out to the guitar community to see if there is a product or a method anyone here has used in a situation like this before.

Thank you

Harold

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
01/30/2018 3:03 pm

Are the other people in your band having the same problems? Are dancers getting caught by cords on stage? Monitors? Mikes? Could you set up a small barrior and deliniate the stage a bit better. I suspect that it wouldn't have to be more than a foot or two high. It could even be cloth hanging on a rope as long as you can suport the rope. This would offer some protection for your gear and for the ankles of the people who are now dancing on your rig.

Your pedal cover sounds like a pretty simple project that should not require a lot effort to produce. However, this still leaves your dancers ankles at risk. Doctors cost more than guitar tecs.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/30/2018 3:45 pm

Here's a thought as far as structure. I mean, I'm not telling you to buy a $650 board but the idea is good. Exposed pedals with the back/unders protected. The little tank of the pedal is probably strong enough to withstand but those connection points can be a killer. Been there.

I played a 'floor' gig once. Late 80's and we did G'nR 'Sweet Child o' Mine' which has a the wah in the solo. The people were right up front. I mean right there. Come time for the solo, a young lady is standing astride my two pedals (Turbo Overdrive and Dunlop Wah). Picture if you will how close that is. There's only so far you can cheat back before you can't actually wah. So I gotta step in for the wah solo. I do. And yes, she was right there. I mean, it wasn't the worst thing. She was quite attractive so I wasn't, like, I was in pain or anything....[br][br]

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.