View post (Sound/EQ Related Question)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
01/26/2018 7:09 pm

Chris and I had nearly the same rig in the 80's and on paper, it was not great. Except both of us found a way to make a 70's era Peavey Classic with a drive pedal of some sort and run through a 4x12 cabinet, work.

The point, you don't start with that randomness of gear andget great tone without just twisting knobs. I actually enjoy that part. I mean, that is your answer. The knobs could say 'Butter, Cream and Milk' instead of 'Low, Mid and Hi', you still have to turn them to get a sense of what they do.

I'm not saying to sound overly direct but that is the reality. I used to be an pain in the butt at a local store in the 80's (awesome gear...) and they let me try tons of gear (to mostly get me out of their hair) but I did have a good ear for tone and they'd actually use what I'd say about gear they might not have the chance to check out.

Moral ofthat store is, I was trying out near gear all the time (and NOT buying, obviously).

Nothing starts better than just zeroing out the knobs of new gear and turning them until you get the hang of that pedal/gear. My two cents are: Metal > Chunk the E : Clean > Stum an Open G or D : Classic Overderiven Rock > Heavy Strum of First Position(s) E, A and Open G. Then use the open hand to just twist knobs. I would do these at modest volumes at first and learn the gear. Once you've got the hang of it, find out adjustments you need for higher volumes (cuz it does change).

It is overwhelming but I like it. And you have some solid gear.