View post (How to practice)

View thread

newgreyarea
newgreyarea
01/13/2018 9:59 pm

OK, let's try this again.

Skill level. Intermediate. I've been "using" guitars for about 30 years but am self-taught and it was never my main focus. Never learned scales or chord names or anything. Just one of my songwriting tools. If I follow a lesson, I usually do not have any problem executing it given a little practice.

Lessons I've been doing:

Travis Picking (really dig this as I never learned fingerpicking stuff and just got a new Taylor 214CEN. Love nylon strung guitars!)

Scales (Maj, min, Penta, Blues) Could use a little work on transposing but that's more a matter of finishing the lessons. What I know, I can play fairly well up to a certain speed. The pentatonic stuff has been very useful when "jamming" over chords I build up on my looper pedal.

Triads/Inversions - Really dig this as I love finding new ways to get a similar sound.

Double Stops - Love it! Need to memorize the fretboard a bit better to execute and find a way to work with my practice. I know what it's doing, just not how to approach as practice.

Chords - Travis picking made me realize how sloppy my chords are. Some chords I've been fingering incorrectly so I'm unlearning that. I want to be faster and more accurate. I'd also like to know a bit more theory in this dept.

Fretboard Memorization - I was just using printouts but didn't feel that was teaching me as once I fill in one note it's easy to just go down the line and name the rest. I want to be able to look at a fret and know every note across all 6 strings without having to start at the nut! I'm gonna work with the trainer in the ToolBox that I didn't know I had. Hah!

I don't really have guitar heroes. The stuff that the average guitar guy loves, I probably don't. Beatles, Zepplin, Hendrix . . etc. I know they are good! I know they're important. I just never got into them. I do like old blues stuff but not the Clapton/SRV/BB King stuff. Leadbelly type stuff. Country Blues I've heard it called. My guitar heroes are probably the likes of Sonic Youth or Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and more recently Marc Ribot (Tom Waits' guitarist).

So, feedback is cool. Noise is cool. Dissonance is rad when used in the right place.

Marc Ribot- This is amazing to me and probably unlistenable to most! Hah! He clearly knows his way around a guitar but chooses to do something a little different. He's been on most of Waits' records since Rain Dogs and has such an original way of playing.

I have time to practice. I just want to be able to set a timer and focus on just practicing otherwise I'll start writing and never learn anything new. Melodic solos are cool but I don't care to "shred". Just not my style.

Anyways, love the site. I've learned more in two months than the last two decades.

Thanks!!