View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/13/2018 4:45 pm

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: newgreyarea

So I've been doing a bunch of the technique tutorials and could use some guidance as to how I should practice.

[/quote]

I'd love to help. But I need to know what your current skill level is & what your goals are. What technique tutorials are you working on? What is your skill level? What are your goals (style of music or target songs, skills)?

Originally Posted by: newgreyarea

I know how to play major, minor and blues scales but how should I practice them? Do I play through them in every key?

[/quote]

You could if one of your goals is to play solos in every key. But some of you time might be better spent learning specific licks & repeating them to build your repertoire of licks.

[br]If you came to take a lesson from me & asked me those questions, the first thing I would do is ask you to play every major, minor & blues scale for me. If you could do it well, then I would suggest that you start learning songs, licks & solos. If you struggled, then I would say slow down & work on one a day at a time until you've really got it down & can play it musically.

Having said that, practicing scales is always a great idea. We practice scales in order to build & maintain physical dexterity, strength, get used to playing in different areas of the neck & of course to develop aural skills (ear training).

[quote=newgreyarea]

Basically, I'm just looking for a little guidance into "how to practice". What do I do first? How to integrate chord change practice, Travis picking, and scales into a cohesive 30 minute practice? What else should I add in there?

That's a lot of stuff to squeeze into 30 minutes!

It really depends on your goals & skill level. In general, a practice session should look like this:

1. Warm up (stretches, basic chords & a few scales to get fingers moving).

2. Work development.

3. Play something complete & fun to finish on a good note.

That could be done in 15 minutes, 30 minutes or several hours & it's widely applicable to any skill level.

It important to warm up, to get your mind & body settled in to focusing on & playing the guitar.

Development means working on building your knowledge & skills. Learning a new song or song section, mastering a new chord change or progression, learning or drilling a new scale pattern or lick (learned or original). After you are warmed up & ready to get to work, this is when the heavy lifting gets done.

Finally finish with something that satisfies, leaves you with a sense of enjoyment & accomplishment. Play a song you already know, play a simple chord change you've already mastered, etc.

[quote=newgreyarea]

[br]Also, I can't seem to find any lessons on memorizing the fretboard. Is there a hidden lesson that I'm missing?

Learning the notes on the fretboard is another matter of repetitious practice & use. You will learn all the theory & freboard knowledge you need in the context of the lessons in either GF2 or a style course.

If you have questions about specific topics, concepts or techniques, then please ask. If you have more questions now, then please ask. Hope this helps.

Best of success with your learning. Have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory