View post (Looking for a new amp)

View thread

seay.james
Full Access
seay.james
Full Access
03/30/2018 9:10 pm

Hi there!

What is the intended use? Bedroom or in a band? What pedal is giving you trouble? What is your objective with the pedal?

I ask because most people buy amps that are way too loud and, literally, cannot dial them in because 7-o'clock on the dial is silent and 7-oh-five is too loud! I am willing to bet that the Champion 100 would be too loud. Even the Champion 40 might be too loud.

If you're into math and overanalyzing, this is a fantastic video to explain how amps and speakers lead to loudness.

https://youtu.be/mhIQSxKFgoQ

In my opinion, bedroom levels should be under 90dB and preferably under 85dB. That is the higest level OSHA (U.S. government organization that analyzes industrial safety) recommends for 8+hours of exposure without hearing damage.

Note that virually *all* guitar amps are above 90dB unless you use an attenuator or get a dedicated practice amp. So if you are a bedroom player, I would look at those tiny Yamaha lunchboxes. *Or* diagnose why your pedal is not working. Or get another pedal.

For Loudness Reference,

OSHA guidelines for avoiding hearing damage = 85-90dB

OSHA estimate for rock concert with modern PA system = 110-115dB (with the PA system doing the work of making it loud)

A Fender Princeton Reverb (that internet pundits say is giggable 80% of the time and too soft 20% of the time) puts out a theoretical 105 dB. 15 watts through a 10-inch speaker.

A Fender Deluxe Reverb (that internet pundits say is too loud 80% of the time and giggable 20% of the time) puts out a theoretical 112dB

A Vox AC30 with Alinco Blues (that pretty much everyone says is too loud 99% of the time) puts out a theoretical 118dB

If you are looking to play in a band or go to jam sessions, 15-20 watts into a 10-inch speaker should work. 10-15 watts into a 12-inch speaker should also work. You are looking for 105-110 decibels.

Likely candidates here are

* Your current amp (solid state. has a master volume)

* Fender Super Champ (tube. has a master volume)

* Roland Blues Cube (solid state, has a master volume, has a solo boost)

Back to the pedal What is your intended use? A wise person (who I ignored and now have a smaller bank account for it) told me "Get your tone from your amp not pedals. Use pedals for special situations."

That is the reason I am asking about the pedal. A $150 amp and $300 in pedals and you could simply buy a nicer amp.

In my opinion, here are the pedals you need in the order you need them...

1. Tuner pedal

2. Noise gate

3. Some sort of method to get a louder, slightly dirtier signal for single-note playing. Some amps (like the Roland Blues Cube) have this built in.