View post (Looking for a new amp)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/05/2018 4:15 am
Originally Posted by: jambrosoli

I currently have a Peavey VYPR 1 and it does not work well with pedals and I am finding it to be hard to use. I am really interested in the Fender Champion 100. I like the sound it puts out. Are the some amps that work well with pedals and some that dont?

It depends on what kind of sound you are after & how used to using certain types of gear.

The Vyper amps are like most modern digital modeling amps in that they have all the effects built in. They are designed to have anything an external pedal would already integrated into the circuitry of the amp.

Remember that pedals were made in the first place to create sounds that you couldn't get from jsut the amp or in any other way. Early amps used to be fairly basic in design compared to modern ones.

Some older players (like me! ) are used to tube amps & pedals because that's how we learned to play & create the sounds we desired. I still use fairly basic tube amps for most playing situations & add a few pedals as icing on the cake.

But I also have a Line 6 Pod & a few digital modeling amps & they are great! I use them mostly for studio work, where it's easy to dial in a ton of drastically different sounds in just a few seconds without having to cart around 100 pedals. Or buy odd or unique ones just for one purpose!

I have used a couple of my digital amps with pedals for a couple of gig. But in those cases I wound up dialing in a very basic sound (similar to my normal amp) & then adding pedals in front. It took a little experimenting to get things to sound right, I was able to make it work.

I've played a Fender Champion. They are good sounding amps. For what it's worth, they also have a digital modeling section & effects! The 100 watt version is going to be LOUD! It might handle pedals better than the Peavey, but it really comes down to what you are trying to accomplish.

I'm willing to bet you can get the sound you want (or close to it!) out of your Vyper. So, what are you after tone wise?!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory