Proper Barre Chord Form?

Deanhorneck
Deanhorneck
12/02/2017 1:58 am

Hey everyone,

I just started playing barre chords and I finally got a finger position where I can get good tone out of every string without muting any, even the minor string when I remove my middle finger. I have only been practicing the E major shaped F chord and the Am shaped B chord. But I have some questions abot my finger placement. Here are some picture

" id="__mcenew" />

So my main question is: is it proper form for my index finger to be so high above the low E string? From what I have seen on this site and YouTube, most players have their index fingertip right on the low E string. But If I lower my index finger I wind up muting the B or high E string. So is what I have good or is it improper and I should try to learn barring with my finger lower?

# 1
Deanhorneck
Deanhorneck
12/03/2017 2:17 am

I am also struggling with muting the A string while barring. Any tips on that will be greatly appreciated.

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/03/2017 3:42 pm

Hey & welcome! Thanks for posting a picture. That's very helpful.

Originally Posted by: Deanhorneck

So my main question is: is it proper form for my index finger to be so high above the low E string? From what I have seen on this site and YouTube, most players have their index fingertip right on the low E string. But If I lower my index finger I wind up muting the B or high E string. So is what I have good or is it improper and I should try to learn barring with my finger lower?

If you can play those chord clean, clearly & efficiently, then it's perfectly fine.

Every individual set of hands is unique. Everyone has to find their own best finger placement depending on the microplacement of the topology of their fingers.

Your index finger looks fine. Your other fingers look good, last knuckle & tip straight down into the neck. Your wrist looks to be in a comfortable natural position.

And it also depends on the guitar. In this case, your Fenders has a pretty narrow neck. On some of my narrower Fender necks I have a similar finger placement. Check out my tutorials on barre chords for more detailed advice.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=450

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=464

Hope this helps! Please ask more if necessary & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.