music theory

mbw1
mbw1
11/27/2017 7:07 pm

hello

I recently got to know about mixolydian, I was wondering if anybody could tell me more about it or give me some websites to visit and to how mixolydian can be used in song creation ?

i understand so far that mixolydian mustly are used to create catchy songs or riffs. I understand that acdc mainly uses mixolyidan to there songs, thats why people say that they have made the same ablum 12 times. but can anybody inlight me in how acdc uses mixolydian in their songs and maybe how they approch a song to make so damn catchy

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/27/2017 9:00 pm
Originally Posted by: mbw1

I recently got to know about mixolydian, I was wondering if anybody could tell me more about it or give me some websites to visit and to how mixolydian can be used in song creation ?

Any mode can be used to create the melody of a song. Or can be used to build a chord progression for a song.

The thing that makes a riff or song distinctive, like a ACDC riff for example, is more than the mode used. It's how the notes of the mode are grouped into chords & what specific rhythmic devices are used.

Lots of rock & blues uses the mixolydian mode. But ACDC sounds very distinctive. That's because each artist develops their own style using all the tools of music, modes, scales, chords, rhythms, clean tones, crunch tones, etc.

Check out this artist study on ACDC.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=982

And these tutorials will show you all the modes & how they each have their own unique sound.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=770

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
jwatkins9
jwatkins9
11/29/2017 7:16 am

Hi

I'd like some guidance on how to learn music theory starting at a beginner level. How should I start and then progress. For example, is it learning scales and the notes in the scales or should I learn the notes that make up chords that I am playing ?? How did you start and then progress?

Thanks

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/29/2017 3:05 pm
Originally Posted by: jwatkins9

I'd like some guidance on how to learn music theory starting at a beginner level. How should I start and then progress.

[/quote]

This depends on your current skill level. Are you also a beginner guitar player? Or do you have some skill & you're looking to flesh out your conceptual knowledge (theory) about music?

In general, your theory knowledge & your physical skills (the ability to play the guitar) should keep pace with each other. The best way to do this at GT is to use one of the fundamentals courses!

Lisa's courses:

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals1

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals2

Those assume you are a beginner in both knowlege & skill. The best part about using the courses is that you will learn the right amount of theory as you gain skills, as you progress along in the courses.

It's important to keep your theory & practice levels close. Otherwise, you wind up being able to play a bunch of stuff, but it's unintegrated: you don't know what you are doing, or why & how to connect all of it together.

On the other hand, if you know some theory, but you can't actually play anything, then your knowledge isn't helping you at all. What good is a scale if you know all the letters, but can't actually play it on the guitar to make music?

[quote=jwatkins9]

For example, is it learning scales and the notes in the scales or should I learn the notes that make up chords that I am playing ?? How did you start and then progress?

If you already have some skills, then you might want to check out my older fundamentals course that starts with the basics of music theory: intervals, scales, chords, reading music.

It's a great, organized place to start learning theory also!

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals2(discontinued)

Hope this helps! Please ask more if necessary & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
11/30/2017 5:30 am

Hi

I'd like some guidance on how to learn music theory starting at a beginner level. How should I start and then progress. For example, is it learning scales and the notes in the scales or should I learn the notes that make up chords that I am playing ?? How did you start and then progress?

Thanks

I wish, I had been taught some music theory basics along with the guitar skills when I started playing. It would have made things easier afterwards. When teaching me only "this is a chord A, put fingers here, here and there..." It took me a long time to realise why it is chord "A". Which, of cause, is because of the notes in it. And it took even longer to find out what makes just those notes to form a chord "A". That will need some basic knowledge of scales and chord theory.

But now, after thirty some years, I've finally learned at least the basics of theory.

# 5
jwatkins9
jwatkins9
12/01/2017 7:01 am
Originally Posted by: jarkko.eklund

Hi

Thanks

I wish, I had been taught some music theory basics along with the guitar skills when I started playing. It would have made things easier afterwards. When teaching me only "this is a chord A, put fingers here, here and there..." It took me a long time to realise why it is chord "A". Which, of cause, is because of the notes in it. And it took even longer to find out what makes just those notes to form a chord "A". That will need some basic knowledge of scales and chord theory.

But now, after thirty some years, I've finally learned at least the basics of theory.

Thank you, your comments are helpful.

I have done the basics on GT and I think I am further along with playing than I am with my theory. I will check out the links that Christopher suggested. I'll come back with more quetions after I have gone through the links.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.