struggle with Barre Chords - B string

Deanhorneck
Deanhorneck
11/25/2017 5:25 am

Hey everyone.

I am learning Barre Chords and have been working out my hand with a stress ball so barre chords are coming along smoother than expected. So far I have only been practicing the F Major Barre Chord when the first fret is barred and my other fingers are in an E major shape. One issue I keep bumping into is that all my strings are either nicely fretted or barred except the B string is muted. I tried moving my thumb to be on the bottom of the neck right behind where the B string is to give some added pressure. It helps a little but the most I can get is a buzz. I'm curious as to why its this string in particular and if there are any tips. If it helps, I have very long skinny fingers and a XXL sized hand.

thanks!

# 1
Deanhorneck
Deanhorneck
11/25/2017 5:33 am

A-ha!

So i've figured it out.The problem is my pointer finger joints. Wherever a joint is on the fret, whichever strings are below it do not get properly fretted because my finger is alightly arched/ bent.

So now I see the problem, any suggestions? I heard that keeping your pointer finger slightly curved makes barre chords easier.

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/25/2017 6:12 am
Originally Posted by: Deanhorneck

So i've figured it out.The problem is my pointer finger joints. Wherever a joint is on the fret, whichever strings are below it do not get properly fretted because my finger is alightly arched/ bent.[/quote]

Good job identifying the issue!

Problems like this can be caused by a lack of strength & dexerity. Other times it is just a matter of practice. Usually, it's a little of both. :)

But, in general, once you develop enough strength & dexterity, you don't need to press hard & harder. It's a matter of just enough pressure applied in just the right places.

You might be having trouble with the micro placement of your fingers. Since some parts of your fingers (like the creases in your knuckle & joints) are just missing the strings, or inadvertantly muting a note, you might have to experiment with placement.

[quote=Deanhorneck]

So now I see the problem, any suggestions? I heard that keeping your pointer finger slightly curved makes barre chords easier.

Possibly. Twisting your index finger to use a bit of the side instead of the pads might also give you a firmer surface to present against the string.

It's also possible that by keeping your index finger closer to the fret you'll get more leverage. I find that jumbo or large frets are good for this.

I did these tutorials on barre chords for beginners.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=450

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=464

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes at your convenience.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Mox Freeman
Mox Freeman
11/26/2017 5:53 am

Barre chords take a lot of practice to get clean man, don't be discouraged and keep chipping away at it!

# 4
s2davidjb5
s2davidjb5
09/29/2021 4:58 pm

Yep, im struggling with B string as well, just got no flesh on bottom half of finger to apply any pressure.......tried all positions but anatomically no go...........any suggestions before i give up?

# 5
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
09/29/2021 5:48 pm

Yeah. Firstly, never giveup! Barr (Barre?) chords are the hardest. It takes time and perseverance.Two techniques you can practice is to make your index finger as completely straight and rigid as possible.The second is to turn on the side so the bone of your finger is pressing down the strings. Once again, it's hard, but with determination, you'll succeed. Believe me, we've all been there.

A third option would be to break it down step by step. Focus on the index finger forming the barr then concentrate on the chord shape you're working on.

Remember, it's all muscle memory. And our muscles are built to be trained.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.