Looper Question

stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
11/12/2017 3:55 pm

Any suggestions as to what i would need to train my rhythym and lead skill. I do not own a metronome. So i'm wondering if i need an effects pedal with built in options, or separate components. Drum and or bass layers would be nice but at this point i feel like it would be helpful to just hear and play over my own rhythym. I really have no idea what i need to do this, I'm technologically challenged you might say. Thanks! for any Help!

# 1
OnTheRopes
OnTheRopes
11/13/2017 8:56 am

You really should have a metronome you know ;)

Or at the last use an online one.

Anyway, one of the Boss Loopers should do you fine, they are available in various versions depending on requirements, how many layers you want to record etc.

Boss RC-3 Loop Station, 3 Hours of Stereo Recording in a Compact Loop Pedal[br]Stocked with a number of powerful features somehow packed into a compact pedal, the Boss RC-3 Loop Station is an incredibly useful loop pedal.

USB 2.0 compatibility, three hours of stereo recording time for up to 99 loops and a “real drums” rhythm guide and suitable for guitar and bass – the Boss RC-3 Loop Station is one incredible stompbox loop pedal.

Boss RC-3 Loop Station Loop Pedal Key Features:[br]Compact and powerful stereo stompbox looper[br]Massive internal memory with up to three hours of stereo recording time[br]99 onboard memories for storing loops[br]USB 2.0 port allows you to connect to a PC and import/export WAV audio[br]Rhythm guide with real drums[br]Runs on a single 9-volt battery or optional AC power supply[br]BOSS five-year warranty

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/13/2017 3:01 pm
Originally Posted by: stevelankford313

Any suggestions as to what i would need to train my rhythym and lead skill. I do not own a metronome.[/quote][p]GT has an online metronome.

https://www.guitartricks.com/toolbox.php

And there are many other free ones on the web.

http://a.bestmetronome.com/

But it sounds like what you really want is a backing track & a way to multitrack record, when you say this.

[quote=stevelankford313]

There a So i'm wondering if i need an effects pedal with built in options, or separate components. Drum and or bass layers would be nice but at this point i feel like it would be helpful to just hear and play over my own rhythym. I really have no idea what i need to do this, I'm technologically challenged you might say. Thanks! for any Help!

If you have an Apple product you can get GarageBand.

https://www.apple.com/mac/garageband/

If you own a Windows based computer or tablet you can get Audacity.

http://www.audacityteam.org/

Those Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) programs will allow you to record audio on your computer. Install one of those programs, then download freely available backing tracks. We have many here at GT. I have this series of 12 bar blues in all keys.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1108

Each lesson has an mp3 audio file with bass & drums you can download. There are many others on the internet you can download & use. Import that audio backing track file into your DAW & record your own rhythm & lead playing along with them!

There are lots of other options for doing this. Those are just the 2 DAWs I hear that students are using to accomplish this task. I personally use SONAR for recording audio. And there are lots of YouTube vids that teach & show you how to set up those programs & use them.

It's a lot of stuff for anyone. Even if you aren't technologically challenged. :) But it's well worth the effort of climbing the learning curve to get one of those programs installed, because once you do, you'll have access to virtually unlimited amounts of backing tracks & it's a great way to measure your learning & playing progress. Also it's very satifying to hear your own recordings.

I saw in another thread you mentioned a looper. That can be a fine solution as well. But those require a certain skill set & you can usually only record one rhythm part or track, loop it & them play over it. If you work with a DAW you have access to many tracks, you can change keys, you can edit & manipulate the audio.

With all that in mind, it's a good idea to assess what your needs are compared to your goals. At this stage you might simply need to play along with those blues backing tracks in my tutorial until you're confident you will benefit from a DAW set up.

Another valuable & simple option is to just play along with existing backing tracks on the web. For example, sometimes I just want to click a button & play guitar! Not worry about recording or editing. So, I might just go to a GT backing track & play along! Or I might go to YouTube & find a jazz standard backing track to play along with for practice.

And don't forget that there's the option of finding a guitar playing friend to trade licks with. :) If you can find a like minded friend in your situation (maybe at a local music store?) you can play blues songs taking turns playing rhythm & lead with & for each other.

Hope that helps! Have fun with whatever option works best for you!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
11/14/2017 3:20 am

Their are more options than i thought. The most cost effective one might be the best, even if there seems to be a longer lurning curve. Both responses are much appreciated...Mucho Gracias Amigos!

# 4
m.giancarlo2016
m.giancarlo2016
11/14/2017 6:29 am

Any suggestions as to what i would need to train my rhythym and lead skill. I do not own a metronome. So i'm wondering if i need an effects pedal with built in options, or separate components. Drum and or bass layers would be nice but at this point i feel like it would be helpful to just hear and play over my own rhythym. I really have no idea what i need to do this, I'm technologically challenged you might say. Thanks! for any Help!

Use have a metronome called your heart and foot lol. Jam to your favorite tunes and rehearse the timing not the licks per se. it’ll build skills until you get that Korge tuner metronome . Also they have free online metronomes and apps on smartphones if you didn’t know. Some of us don’t so no biggie. That’s what these sites are for really;-) I bought this Korg tuner/metronome stand up with all the gadgets and it’s fun . Loud enough with the Amp and fx in play also. Hope this helped

# 5
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
12/05/2017 2:32 am

I'll check um', thanks again!

# 6
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
12/05/2017 5:16 pm

If you are looking at the Boss looper pedals I'd recommend the RC-3 over the RC-1 as it has a built in metronome/drum pattern mode.

# 7
kvsealegs
kvsealegs
12/07/2017 7:13 pm

I myself find metronomes a bit boring, although it is really an essential element to develop your timing and ability to play along with others. I have two pedals that combine the metronome with options. The first one is the JamMan Solo XT. It is a looping pedal, which allows you to layer levels of play, and it also has a rhythm feature that you can use as a beat measure. It can be adjusted for many options like a click, snare, tap, or a number of other beats. The other pedal that I have that is an extreme amount of fun is the Bandmate TRIO. After you lay down the timing and the chord sequence it will give you a lot of options for a drum beat depending on the style of music that you select. It also has a basss guitar that will play along with you. You can control the loudness of the drums or bass . It is really fun to play along with, and it gives you a little sense of how it would be to play with others, while developing your timing.

# 8
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
12/09/2017 3:48 am

That bandmate sounds like what i may be looking for. I really would like to sit in on blues jam occasionally this coming year. I feel like i need a little more skill and confidence.So anyway i'm trying decide how best to simulate that experience...thanks again

# 9
kvsealegs
kvsealegs
12/17/2017 1:21 am

Cool Beans! I really like the Digitech Trio. I don't know what your budget is, but you can get that pedal with or without a looper. I think it would be worth the extra to have the looper available.

# 10
OnTheRopes
OnTheRopes
12/18/2017 10:53 pm
Originally Posted by: kvsealegs

Cool Beans! I really like the Digitech Trio. I don't know what your budget is, but you can get that pedal with or without a looper. I think it would be worth the extra to have the looper available.

The Digitech Trio plus is the one to get and on my shopping list now.

# 11
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
02/21/2018 10:15 am

Their are more options than i thought. The most cost effective one might be the best, even if there seems to be a longer lurning curve.

[p]

What's your budget Steve?

Christopher Schlegel has given you a comprehensive roundup on recording and playback for evaluation or to play along, but IME DAWs require a PC or laptop and have quite a learning curve to use effectively. I currently use Audacity (donationware) with the USB out of my Blackstar modelling amp, but am looking at buying a copy of Reaper.

I'm a relative newbie too. Because I don't want to record to make vids for a You Tube channel, I find the simplicity and freedom of looper a really practical handy fun tool and training aid. I'm fortunate not to be technologically challenged, but in saying that, sometimes simple is best. I have two, one simple, the other,...less simple.

Cheers.

# 12
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
02/22/2018 4:16 am

fell out of the ''loop'' for a while working hard on lessons, thanks again everybody, still have not pulled the trigger though. but it is on the list...peace

# 13
takiomail444
takiomail444
03/28/2018 4:40 pm

For looper I can recommend ditto, but You need metronome. Check here[br]https://www.gear4music.com/Orchestral-Accessories/Metronomes.html[br]https://musicsquare.co.uk/119567g_Tuners-and-Metronomes.html[br]https://www.sweetwater.com/c899--Metronomes

# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.