Muting String 1,2, and 3 with Power Chrds

Deanhorneck
Deanhorneck
11/02/2017 3:01 am

Like the title says, I am learning power chords in Guitar Fundamentals 2 and was looking for any tips on how to mute strings 3, 2 and 1. I want to learn the oppening riff to Blitzkrieg Bop as I believe it will be good practice for learning power chord transition but Its hard to get a good strumming pattern going with the high strings un-muted.

Thanks

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2017 2:40 pm
Originally Posted by: Deanhorneck

I am learning power chords in Guitar Fundamentals 2 and was looking for any tips on how to mute strings 3, 2 and 1. I want to learn the oppening riff to Blitzkrieg Bop as I believe it will be good practice for learning power chord transition but Its hard to get a good strumming pattern going with the high strings un-muted.

[p]Essentially you have to work at muting the upper strings with the lower pads of your index finger. So, it's like playing a normal barre chord, but instead of putting pressure on the upper strings, you position your index finger to apply light pressure.

Just enough to mute, but not so much that the notes ring. This tutorial on muting techniques might help.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2281

Have fun playing that tune!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
bglash
bglash
11/02/2017 7:39 pm

I keep my 1st and 3rd finger fairly straight and try to keep perpendicular to the fret board. Makes it easier to keep the meatier part of my fingers over the strings I want to mute. Cheers.

# 3
Mox Freeman
Mox Freeman
11/26/2017 6:00 am

Muting out the right string at the right time is an art in itself, a subtle aspect of guitar playing.

I've found it can really help to hold the left hand finger positions, then ring out each string one at a time to really hear what is actually going on with the sound! :)

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.