View post (loud buzz when not touching strings)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/15/2017 3:00 pm

Hey & welcome to GT![br]

Originally Posted by: bimbuyI am staying in a place where the electrical outlets have no ground (2 prong outlet). There is also a power line transformer about a hundred meters from my room. Can this be the causes of the buzz?[/quote][p]This jumps out at me as the most likely culprit.[br][quote=bimbuy][p]Also when Im touching the metal parts the amp hums and I expect that this the 60 Hz hum because it is barely noticeable when I select the humbuckers.
[p]Aside from the non-grounded electrical power, this could be one of few things (sometimes in combination).

1. Single coil pickups. You are obviously aware of this. But single coils in combo with the next...

2. Too much gain. You mention turning down the gain & that removing some fo the problem. But it's still there a little? No gain, clean tone plus humbucker equals little to no hum? Or still there if you turn up the volume with a clean tone?

3. RF interference. Radio frequency interference is a huge potential problem. TV screens, computer screens, laptops, cell phones, wi-fi singals, florecent lighting, unstable, fluctuating electric power. The only thing you can do here is to move your guitar & amp around the room away from potential sources of RF. Trial & error & see if anything reduces the buzz.

4. Faulty grounding. The wiring harness in the guitar is supposed to have a wire that is connected to the bridge & vibrato plate. The point of this is to ground the instrument. Sometimes that wire gets disconnected. The solder cracks, or the vibrato springs bounce against it. [br][br]I show how to connect this at about 4 minutes in this video.[br][br]https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=15806&s_id=1121

Also, it could be any one of the solder connections or components in the guitar. So, you could watch the wiring parts of that tutorial & maybe look at your guitar to see if that's the problem.[br][br]Or you could ask a local guitar tech to check it out if you aren't comfortable with any of that.

Finally it might be a combination of some of those things. Experiment with those ideas & see if you can remove the buzz. But I think the non-grounded electric power is the culprit. Let us know how it goes! Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory