Great moment of success yesterday. Thanks GT!

Johangarden
Johangarden
10/10/2017 6:57 am

As I wrote in the intro forum I played the guitar as a teen. Mostly fooling around learning rock songs of the time by reading tabs. After High School life kind of got in the way. Travelling, Wife, kids, university etc. and I didn't really touch a guitar for 20 years.

I turned 40 this year and decided now was the time to really learn how to play the guitar.

I signed up on this site 3 months ago and gave it a try. I started with the two "guitar fundamentals" levels. Lot's of it was stuff I remembered from my youth, lot's of it was new things I had no idea about. But it was great learning all the basics in a slow pace.

While playing the lessosn I never felt that I was a guitar player per se, but it motivated me to learn more.

As a reward to myself when finishing the basic levels I bought an electric guitar and a small Marshall amp.

After the basics I decided to take the Blues path. I have never played blues and believed it was way too hard for me to learn. All those emotions in the music, bending strings and strange timing. But I will give it a try.

Yesterday I reached the lessons "Make music with the notes you know" in Blues Level 1. Lessons where I take the first steps of improvising with the blues scale.

[br]The lessons are short, but I ended up going to the Jam Track tab and letting the track loop while I just improvised playing notes from the scale.

At first, it was kind of random. But soon I got into the groove and feeling of it and became really fun. Developing my own small licks, playing with timing and even some bending of strings, sliding and vibrato.

Tons of mistakes and tones that were not clean, but it was fun and I'm sure the mistakes will be fewer with time.

I was sitting there jamming with a big smile on my face thinking "Wow! I'm playing this and it sounds good."

After a while jamming my fingers started to hurt (still a newbie after all) and I had to stop. Now I can't wait to get home from work and do it all again.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/10/2017 12:44 pm
Originally Posted by: Johangarden

I was sitting there jamming with a big smile on my face thinking "Wow! I'm playing this and it sounds good."

That's wonderful! That's what's it all about. :) Thanks for posting about your success. Keep practicing, playing & having fun.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Ben Martin
Administrator
Ben Martin
Administrator
10/10/2017 4:45 pm

What a story! Thanks so much for sharing, we are all really happy for you.

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/22/2017 12:27 pm

Late to the party but; that is awesome.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.