View post (Beatles sound)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/11/2017 11:31 am

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: FirebirdNickIt's nothing fancy. I'm actually performing at a school concert (singing and playing) with my 8yr old son who's turning into a great little drummer! We've adapted "Get Back" for one guitar and to show off the drum kit and his skills. It's more about him than me. Very proud of him of course.[/quote]

Awesome! That sounds like a lot of fun! :) I've also very much enjoyed playing music with my son. It's the best.

[quote=FirebirdNick]

I thought the solo felt a bit thin with just the one guitar though, so thought I could use a bit of extra gain from the overdrive pedal to add a little to just the solo and leave it off for the verse/chorus. It sounds ok to me, but is that an ok thing to do?

Your plan sounds fine. With no bass, it will be tricky to keep the low end happening. So a little overdrive will help. In those situations I've also noticed that playing any kind of double stop lick instead of single note lines helps keep things thick. And it's also important to play licks that keep the rhythm moving along. With drums that won't be as crucial. But it will help keep both of you locked into the groove.

I've done gigs with my kid just singing or playing keys & I found it's best to just keep the guitar very rhythmic with little or no fills.

Fortunately, the solos & fills in 'Get Back' are all very rhythmic, early rock and roll sounding. And there are lots of double stops to keep the sound thick.

I hope you guys have a great time performing. Enjoy it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory