Ring/Double Ring/Muting Related Questions

jasim.hd
jasim.hd
09/30/2017 4:30 pm

Hi, all. Hope you guys are doing great.

Without further ado, I have 4 different/not related questions:

1) What exactly does it mean to let a note ring? Does it mean to let the note go on without stopping it? As in sustain it?

2) What's the technique for the following tab? Inside the circle.

This is a bit of a hassle. I can't exactly get my head around how to get the G string ring along with the B string when you bend the 12th fret. Do you I have to fret them both with my pinkie? Or should I only fret the B string but strum both? Because when I fret only the B string, the moment I reach the G string with my finger it mutes it.

4) Generally speaking, what does it mean in the tab when a note is in between brackets?

As always, thank you so much for all your help in advance. :)

Have a great one. :)

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/01/2017 4:10 pm

Doing great, thanks!

Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

[br]1) What exactly does it mean to let a note ring? Does it mean to let the note go on without stopping it? As in sustain it?

[/quote]

Yes, the note keeps ringing.

[br]2) What's the technique for the following tab? Inside the circle.

[br]Do I mute first 3 strings with my left hand and then when the pick comes to the 1st string I actually press it and I have to do it fast? Or should I mute using my right hand?

[/quote]

That's called a rake. You've got the right idea. Mute the lower strings & quickly strum or rake across them on your way to hitting the high E string with the note that actually rings out.

[br][quote=jasim.hd][p]3) What’s the technique for the following tab? Inside the circle.

[br]This is a bit of a hassle. I can't exactly get my head around how to get the G string ring along with the B string when you bend the 12th fret. Do you I have to fret them both with my pinkie? Or should I only fret the B string but strum both? Because when I fret only the B string, the moment I reach the G string with my finger it mutes it.

If you bend the B string up toward the ceiling, then you wind up catching the G string along with your ring finger. You can use 2 fingers, but most of the time this is a case of "accidentally/on purpose" grabbing the G string along with the B on a big blues bend.

When you bring the B string back down, mute the G string with either the tip of your ring finger, or you picking hand palm or side of your thumb. Make sense?

[br]

You might find some of the muting techniques I demo useful.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2281

[quote=jasim.hd]4) Generally speaking, what does it mean in the tab when a note is in between brackets?

Notes in parenthesis indicate that they are not necessarily intended to be hit, struck, played, but either accidentally ring, partially ring or sypathetically ring. In the specific case you're asking abot, in the above example, it's more of a sympathetic ringing that occurs when you bend the string above. The string below also winds up ringing.

[br]

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
10/13/2017 7:23 am

As ever, thank you, Christian for this amazing insight. You're a hero, I swear.

Now I got the take thing, mute with my right hand all strings, but not that note I want to sound.

The bend, still confuses me, really. But I guess I'll have to watch your complete tutorial on everything, and I'll get back at you with more questions I'm sure. :D

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/13/2017 2:28 pm

You're welcome!

The bend, still confuses me, really. But I guess I'll have to watch your complete tutorial on everything, and I'll get back at you with more questions I'm sure. :D

These lessons have some examples of those kind of bends. This one from a SRV solo Anders shows how to let more than one string ring on a bend. He also does quite a bit of raking in that solo. Typical of SRV & many blues players. That rake thing is really rhythmic in nature (it adds a snappy percussive sound) so it works well for blues.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=13831&s_id=854[br][br]In this tutorial Anders shows lots of bending techniques & options.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1721[br][br]And yes, my muting techniques tutorial shows a lot of the mechanics of how to mute all the unwanted strings. Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
10/15/2017 6:08 pm

Everything you said helps a lot, but I guess such techniques as raking will take some time.

I'm towards the end of Blues Style II; once I'm done with that, I want to go over and complete all your lessons then back to country. Guess it'll help me advance more this way, I'll have more solid basics a with a great refresher, and gain the much more needed knowledge through your classes.

All respect, Christian. All respect. :)

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.