Where should I put my thumb?

Deanhorneck
Deanhorneck
09/29/2017 1:53 am

Hey everyone. I have been playing (practicing) guitar for 2 weeks. I am trying to learn the C chord and am wondering where I should put my thumb on the back of the neck.

If I put my thumb higher on the neck (closer to the 6th string) I find that I can reach the 6th and 5th string easier but I have to sort-of smoosh my pointer finger down to get to the second string. Conversely, if I put my thumb in the middle of the neck, it takes off some of the pressure from my pointer finger, but then I find it very difficult for my ring finger to reach for the 6th string without muting the 5th.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/29/2017 12:19 pm

Hey & welcome to GT! If you haven't, I encourage you to work your way through the Fundamental Courses. That's the best place for beginners to start.

Originally Posted by: Deanhorneck

I am trying to learn the C chord and am wondering where I should put my thumb on the back of the neck.

[p]Your thumb should be placed directly opposite your fingers on the back of the neck. Your thumb should provide just enough pressure to keep your hand firmly in place on the neck and opposing pressure to help your fingers hold down any fretted notes.

Sometimes beginners squeeze too hard with their thumb and, or their fingers. Actually, this is sometimes a problem for some skilled guitarists, too! Remember that you want just enough pressure to get the job done. Not enough pressure will result in a poor sounding chord. But too much pressure is wasted effort and can over time hinder your ability to move quickly and effectively to the next chord or hand position.

I demonstrate this in the 3rd lesson of this tutorial:

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=605

Hope this helps! Please ask more if necessary. Keep practicing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Deanhorneck
Deanhorneck
09/30/2017 7:28 pm

Thank you Chris.

After some practice and the video lesson, I found that positioning my thumb so that it is at the top of the neck, muting the open low E string, makes it the easiest for me to position my other fingers, as well as, switch between C and Am.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/01/2017 2:13 pm

After some practice and the video lesson, I found that positioning my thumb so that it is at the top of the neck, muting the open low E string, makes it the easiest for me to position my other fingers, as well as, switch between C and Am.

You're welcome! Glad you worked through the problem. Keep practicing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
Deanhorneck
Deanhorneck
10/02/2017 1:44 am

Although, I do have another question pertaining to thumb placement.

When I first taught myself the D-Chord, I learned by placing my thumb in the middle of the neck. I found that position to be comfortble and allowed for adequate finger reach.

Now that I am learning the C-Chord, I am also learning transitioning between chords, specificall between C and D. I noticed while watching the vieo lesson on switching between the C and D chord, Lisa McCormick places her thumb at the top of the neck, muting the low E string while performing the C and D Chord. So when she transitions, she does not have to move her thumb position.

So my question is: should I learned to play the D-Chord with my thumb in the same positon it is when I play the C-Chord; or should I learn to move my thumb position when switching between the C and D Chord?

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/02/2017 11:27 am

So my question is: should I learned to play the D-Chord with my thumb in the same positon it is when I play the C-Chord; or should I learn to move my thumb position when switching between the C and D Chord?

When you first start playing it's okay to get the chords and notes happening anyway you can manage! After that it's good to start refining & working toward efficiency of motion.

So, to answer your question, yes, it's a good idea because a lot of songs use those chords back to back & it will be a more efficient way to play guitar overall.

Also, in the long run as you continue to play, it's beneficial to learn to play chords in multiple ways, with different fingerings & different positions. This becomes useful as you encounter more music that might require different motions.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
Deanhorneck
Deanhorneck
10/02/2017 11:07 pm

Thank you.

I have learned to play an effective D-Chord with the same thumb positioning as a C-Chord, as well as, play an A-chord in the same thumb positioning. This has allowed for easy access to smooth transitions.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.