View post (Chord progression and key signature?)

View thread

kvsealegs
kvsealegs
09/24/2017 12:45 pm

I am not certain that I understand what modulation is. I borrowed another persons ear, and they agreed that the progression sounded correct and If I were to play the sequence say in the key of F and play the B as B flat, it just doesn't work. I will assume that it is most closely playing the key of C with the B minor closely assimilating a B dim which I don't understand anyway.

In looking up modulation, I found another term tonicization, which is likely the occurrance. As I understand it, modulation would follow the key change, as the key changes in "without you" by Nillsson. I also have found E G D E to sound fine when played in sequence. I did an experiment to see if that sequence would work when changing the key with the use of a capo and in both cases it sounded fine. The only difference is that with E G D E the E could be played as either major or minor and sound correct. As expected the E major sounds happier.

At first , I was eager to think that perhaps it was modulation, especially in the Am-F-G-Bm-Am, starting in the key of C and modulating to G. But adding the second example, there is no key that includes both E major and G major together, and yet they sound ok when played together. When I can do so safely, I will experiment on the keyboard. It's very early in the morning....LOL