Spider Legs problem

renebk
renebk
09/18/2017 12:32 pm

Hello to all,

I am a beginner and in Lisa's McCormick spider legs excercise I encounter the following problem.

I can spread my fingers fairly far apart when my hand is in a flat position, but as soon as I bend my hand as to grab the neck of the guitar, my middle and index finger join together, so as both tips touch and I cannot cover the full 3 frets.

Is there an excersise to train my fingers to stay apart?

Many thanks,

René

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/18/2017 6:57 pm

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: renebkI can spread my fingers fairly far apart when my hand is in a flat position, but as soon as I bend my hand as to grab the neck of the guitar, my middle and index finger join together, so as both tips touch and I cannot cover the full 3 frets.

Is there an excersise to train my fingers to stay apart?

[p]First you need to make sure you have good position & posture. If you bend your wrist too far to get your fingers around the guitar you will severely curtail any natural strength & dexterity you have in your fretting hand. So make sure you have a slight, natural curve in your wrist.

Next, it can help if you don't try to keep your fingers in place. It's okay & often beneficial to release finger pressure on the lower frets, just enough to reach higher & make that higher fretted note ring properly. Don't completely lift your finger off the strings. Just release the pressure that was necessary to make the note sound. Maintain a little contact, just let the finger rest on the string without pressing it down. Otherwise it's wasted effort to raise your finger until it's completely off the string, only to have to bring it all the way back when you return to that fret.

Make sense?

You can also adjust your wrist, hand & thumb placement just enough to slide your hand over in order to help get enough pressure on that next fret. Finally, go slow! Take your time, it's not necessary to blaze through this exercise. The goal is just to get all your fingers into the act of fretting notes, gaining a little finger indepedence, strength & dexterity so they'll eventually be ready to do all those crazy things they have to do in order to play music on the guitar!

Finally in response to your question about exercises, yes we have lots of those here at GT aimed at that topic!

Make sure you are properly warmed up & stretched.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1525

Build your pinky strength & dexterity.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1292

Then, use these trill drills to work on finger independence & control.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1829

After working with these exercises for a while you will be in much better shape to play those parts! I use these exercises regularly to warm up & stay in shape.

Hope this helps. Please ask more if necessary & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
renebk
renebk
09/19/2017 8:29 am

Thanks for your advice Christopher.

I'll give it a try and let you know in de course it helped me.

Br.

René

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.